UNC softball gets revenge, handles UNC-Greensboro, 6-2

Kiani Ramsey UNC v FSU

UNC senior outfielder Kiani Ramsey (8) watches the ball after a bat during a double header against the FSU Seminoles at G. Anderson Softball Stadium on Monday, April 15, 2019. The Tar Heels beat the Seminoles in both games.

In its fifth game in four days, the North Carolina softball team (31-15, 15-6) powered past UNC-Greensboro (25-19, 9-4) 6-2 in what head coach Donna Papa saw as a revenge game. After losing to the Spartans last season, the Tar Heels overcame a 2-0 deficit to avoid another upset at the hands of their in-state foe.

“If we had not come here to take that game,” Papa said, “that would have left a bad taste in my mouth.” 

Playing on their home field in Greensboro, N.C., the Spartans jumped out to an early lead. Senior Stephanie Bryden doubled to center with two runners on base to give her team a 2-0 advantage in the first inning. 

However, UNC did not panic. Starting pitcher Hannah George finished out the inning and gave the Tar Heels the chance to regroup. 

The response came in the third inning, when senior Kiani Ramsey stepped up to the plate. On the heels of a strong performance just the night before against UNCW, the experienced outfielder unleashed a three-run homer to give UNC a 3-2 lead. 

From there, the Tar Heels never looked back. Solid pitching from both George and junior reliever Brittany Pickett kept the Spartan bats at bay, while the offense took advantage of Greensboro’s pitching change to secure the victory in the fifth inning. 

The sophomore duo of Kristina Burkhardt and Megan Dray capitalized on the mistakes of the Spartan pitching to drive in three more runs for the Tar Heels at the top of the fifth, cementing a 6-2 win for UNC. 

After an RBI double in the previous game, Ramsey continued her impressive tear on Wednesday night. She finished the game with three hits, one of them being her second home run of the season. For her coach, Ramsey’s offensive tear can be attributed to her new position in the batting order. 

“Ever since we moved her into the three hole, she’s been on a roll,” Papa said. “She’s a competitor, and she’s gotten the job done.” 

Leading 2-0 in the third inning, it appeared that UNCG was poised to repeat last year’s upset. But Ramsey’s home run flipped momentum and propelled the Tar Heels to a comfortable victory, rather than a disappointing non-conference loss. 

It is games such as these, Papa explains, that will help UNC going forward. 

“We want to be in a good place mind-wise,” Papa said. “And good games such as these will move us forward into the Louisville series.” 

With the win, UNC also improved to an impressive 10-3 on the road this season.

After a two game break from ACC play, the Tar Heels will return to the diamond for one last conference series this weekend at Louisville, beginning on Friday.

@fleetwilson