UNC running back Jordon Brown enters transfer portal, Inside Carolina reports

Jordon Brown runs

Running back Jordon Brown (2) tries to escape a Western Carolina defender on Saturday in Kenan Stadium.

North Carolina running back Jordon Brown has entered the transfer portal, according to an Inside Carolina report published Friday morning.

According to sources who spoke with Inside Carolina, the rising senior and Durham N.C., native will become the second Tar Heel to enter the transfer portal after cornerback K.J. Sails entered two weeks ago.

After starting all 12 games as a sophomore in 2017 and leading UNC in rushing yards (613) and rushing for four touchdowns, Brown's role diminished as a junior in a crowded backfield.

Sophomore Michael Carter and junior transfer Antonio Williams were the team's primary options out of the backfield and they totaled 597 and 504 yards, respectively. By the end of the year first-year Javonte Williams was also receiving quality reps, and carried the ball a combined 33 times against Western Carolina and N.C. State.

Brown, meanwhile, carried the ball 81 times for 347 yards and scored three touchdowns. 

Brown, who was the No. 12 all-purpose back in the 2016 class according to 247Sports, has rushed the ball 239 times for 1,005 yards and eight touchdowns in his three-year career.

Sails started the final 11 games of the season for UNC as a sophomore in 2017, but played in only four games during the 2018 season before missing the remainder of the year with an injury.