UNC baseball rolls Georgia Tech 10-2, captures ACC Championship

Baseball Celebration
The Tar Heels' baseball team celebrates another run during their third baseball game against Boston College on Easter weekend, 2019.

The North Carolina baseball team (43-17, 17-13 ACC) cruised past Georgia Tech (41-17, 19-11 ACC) 10-2 on Sunday to win the ACC Tournament, the team's first since 2013. The Tar Heels scored four runs in both the sixth and ninth innings and limited the Yellow Jackets to just four hits on the day.

Seeking their fourth postseason win in five days, the Tar Heels began by giving up the first run of the day in the third inning, when Jackson Webb scored thanks to a throwing error. In the fifth inning, an RBI single to left center from redshirt junior Dallas Tessar tied the game at one apiece.

Then, in the sixth, North Carolina got rolling. A home run from ACC Freshman of the Year Aaron Sabato brought in a pair of runs; then, another homer from junior Ashton McGee batted in two more runs, giving the Tar Heels a 5-1 lead in the span of a few at bats.

Junior Michael Busch threw in a home run of his own an inning later, a solo shot to push the lead to five.

All throughout, UNC was dominant on the mound, allowing just one earned run on the day with the other coming as the result of an error. Redshirt senior Hansen Butler earned the win with a no-hit performance in 2.2 innings, while starter Connor Ollio allowed two hits and struck out three in 2.1 innings.

Later in the ninth inning, another four runs from the Tar Heels all but decided the game. After a fielder's choice allowed Busch to score from third with the bases loaded, junior Brandon Martorano blasted a three run home run, the Tar Heels' fourth of the day, to put North Carolina up 10-1.

In the bottom of the ninth, Joey Lancellotti allowed one run, an RBI single, before Tyler Baum came in to deliver the final out of the game. Baum picked up a slow rolling grounder and tossed it to first, securing the win and an ACC title for the Tar Heels.

North Carolina had five players record multiple hits in the rout: Busch, Sabato, McGee, first-year Danny Serretti and first-year Caleb Roberts. Martorano had just one hit, but he made it count, as his home run gave him three RBIs to lead the Tar Heels.

On the mound, the win was also a collective effort, as four Tar Heels combined to allow just four hits and one earned run. Ollio and Lancellotti both struck out three Yellow Jackets, and Butler struck out two while giving up just a pair of walks, UNC's only of the day.

A three-run home run was the icing on the cake for North Carolina, giving the Tar Heels a commanding nine run lead needing just three outs to secure the win. In the ninth, the Yellow Jackets added their second run of the day with two outs, but it proved to have come much too late to spark a comeback.

Sunday marked the Tar Heels' seventh ACC Tournament Championship, and their first in six years. After two straight extra inning wins to begin the tournament, North Carolina got hot at the plate in the last two games, scoring 13 runs on Saturday against Boston College and 10 on Sunday against Georgia Tech.

North Carolina will await its fate in the NCAA Baseball Tournament selection show, which will begin at noon on Monday. Regionals and super regionals will run from May 31-June 10 before the beginning of the College World Series on June 15.

@ryantwilcox