The Hemp Store sees summer success, continues efforts for community involvement

auiyb hemp
This week's all up in your business featured the Sugarland, Ms. Mong, and the Hemp Store. Franklin St. bakery Sugarland is being packed up and restaurant Ms. Mong is potentially closing. The brand new Hemp Store is owned by Tanya Durand and is open for business!

The Hemp Store joined the bustling environment of Franklin Street in February, finding success in a relatively new market.

The location provides cannabidiol products, also known as CBD. CBD is a derivative of the hemp plant, a cousin of the marijuana plant, but it is different in that it does not carry the “high” that users experience while consuming marijuana. 

With the cultivation of hemp legalized in North Carolina over four years ago, the CBD industry itself is relatively new and often customers do not fully understand what exactly CBD is. 

“One of my favorite parts of working here is spreading knowledge and educating people about CBD,” Dominic Carter, an assistant manager for The Hemp Store, said. 

Additionally, The Hemp Store addresses the fact that consumers may be cautious to try a product this new. 

“We make sure we have third party lab tests to ensure quality and safety," Carter said. 

The principal use of CBD is for individuals who experience a wide array of medical conditions of which CBD may help alleviate. Evidence from research and consumer testimony has linked CBD to the resolution or reduction of sleep disorders, anxiety and chronic pain from conditions such as arthritis. 

Carter used the product for a broken metacarpal. 

“One time a guy was in tears and came in to shake my hand because he had found relief," Rachel Royals, a hemp tender for the store, said. 

Despite the mass exit of students from Chapel Hill over the summer, The Hemp Store has seen continued success in their new location on Franklin Street. 

“Business has stayed pretty steady, if not picked up new customers," Royals said. 

Royals said she thinks some people stay away from Franklin Street during the school year when it's at its busiest, but they return during the summer when some of the crowd has died down.  

“Literally everyday people say I didn’t even know you were here,” Royals said.

With events such as CBD yoga and hemp history week, The Hemp Store has demonstrated plenty of interest in becoming involved with its new community in the heart of Chapel Hill’s downtown.

“Seeing the community’s reception to the store has been awesome," Demond Timberlake, social media coordinator for The Hemp Store, said.

Ultimately, the mission of The Hemp Store is to use CBD to help people who have problems such as anxiety, stress, mood disorders, perennial discomfort and sleep issues.

“To know we can help people in any type of way is what we do this for," Timberlake said.