UNC field hockey sets record for win streak (again) after 9-0 win over JMU

20190129_Robbins_DTH_FoltPizza_0373.jpg
Catherine Hayden playing against William & Mary earlier this season. The senior midfielder had three goals on Sunday against JMU, her second hat trick of the year.

The No. 1 UNC Field Hockey team had a lights-out win Sunday afternoon when they beat James Madison University (3-6) 9-0 in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The shutout victory boosted the team’s record to 9-0 for the season. 

North Carolina’s offense could not be stopped. 

Sophomore Erin Matson got the scoring started early with her first of four goals only four minutes in. She was assisted with a pass from senior Megan DuVernois at the top of the circle. 

The Tar Heels scored again just five minutes later when sophomore Abby Pitcairn scored her first of the season off a rebound from a penalty corner shot. Senior Marissa Creatore put UNC up by three in the 11th minute when she scored off a pass into the circle from senior Yentl Leemans. 

UNC’s electric offense dominated into second. 

Senior Catherine Hayden scored her first of the game when she broke through the JMU defense and just tipped the ball into the net. Matson got her second of the game with just four minutes left in the quarter when she shot from the left right into the back right corner.

In the third, Hayden got on the board again, putting The Tar Heels up by six, when she found the back of the net off a rebound from a penalty corner. 

Matson snagged her third goal of the night off a penalty shot just 48 seconds after Hayden’s goal, making JMU's deficit 7-0. 

Hayden punched in her third goal of the game, earning her second hat trick of the season. 

With less than a minute left on the board, Matson scored her fourth of the night to make the final 9-0. Matson set a personal game-high with her four goals, making this her fourth game of the year with multiple goals. 

The Tar Heels gave a fantastic performance in Virginia. 

Matson and Hayden both dominated offensively with them collectively scoring seven of the nine goals. Now Matson has 15 and Hayden has 11 goals for the season, respectively. 

The defense played with a shutdown mentality, only allowing JMU two shots on goal all game. UNC led 18-5 on shots and 14-2 on shots on goal. 

Junior Amanda Hendry and senior Alex Halpin shared the goalkeeper position and kept JMU blank. Hendry started in net and made two saves in the first half. Halpin took over in the second half to help shut out the opponent. 

The shutdown defense prevented JMU from many offensive chances and the goalkeeper duo took care of the few chances they did have. 

This allowed The Tar Heels to dominate with their offense.  

The nine goals marked UNC's highest scoring output of the fall. UNC is also on a program record-32 game win-streak, 23 wins last season and nine for the 2019 season.

This is a big win for UNC as the team will battle its conference rival this week. 

The Tar Heels return to conference play next game against No. 2 Duke on Friday, Oct. 4 at 4:30 p.m. in Chapel Hill. 

@macyemeyer