UNC women's tennis wins three titles at Furman Fall Classic

Cameron Morra Duke ACC
UNC women's tennis first-year Cameron Morra prepares to return the ball during her singles match during the ACC Tennis Championships at Cary Indoor Tennis Park in Cary, NC on Sunday April 21, 2019. UNC beat Duke 4-2. Morra was named MVP of the tournament.

The North Carolina women’s tennis team had a strong start to the season at the Furman Fall Classic from Friday, Sept. 20 to Sunday, Sept. 22, in Greenville, South Carolina, winning two singles titles and one doubles title.

The No. 3 doubles pair of senior Makenna Jones and sophomore Cameron Morra faced an early test from senior Katarina Kozarov and sophomore Julia Adams of Furman, who are ranked No. 35 in the country. Jones and Morra came away with an 8-7 victory in a close match.

The UNC duo dominated their next match against Vanderbilt's Georgia Drummy and Christina Rosca, 8-2, to reach the flight final against Duke first-year Chloe Beck and senior Meible Chi. 

Jones and Morra defeated Chi and Beck by a score of 8-5, claiming the Flight 1 title. They ended the weekend with a perfect 3-0 record.

Morra, ranked No. 12 nationally in singles play, lived up to her reputation throughout the tournament. 

After dropping the first set, she won two straight sets in a comeback victory against No. 125 Megan Davies of South Carolina. 

Morra won another three-set match, clinching her second finals appearance of the weekend. She beat Texas first-year Lexi Ryngler in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, to win her singles flight. 

No. 3 Alexa Graham won her single flight as well with several dominant performances during the weekend. The senior defeated three top-46 ranked opponents, all of which were in straight sets. This includes a win over Georgia Tech senior Kenya Jones, who was No. 10 overall heading into the Furman Fall Classic.

Both Graham and Morra showed why they are near the top of the collegiate rankings. Both players went undefeated in their matches, giving UNC its two singles titles of the tournament. 

Graham had a great start to her final collegiate season. The 2019 ITA National Player to Watch Award winner convincingly beat three outstanding opponents.

Morra displayed perseverance during match play, responding well whenever she dropped a set. She also had a huge role in the team’s sole doubles title. 

Jones and Mora’s title in doubles set the tone during a very successful day for North Carolina. The momentum from the win carried over to the next day as well, helping them get key singles victories. 

The Tar Heels are coming off of a historic 2018-19 season. The team finished the year 33-2, a program record. North Carolina also won its fourth straight ACC championship and Morra reached the Final Four in last year's NCAA Singles Championship. 

With several players returning from that strong squad, UNC has high expectations for this upcoming season. It backed up that hype with a terrific performance in Greenville, South Carolina. 

The North Carolina women's tennis team will compete in the Oracle ITA Masters in Malibu, California, starting Thursday, Sept. 26. 

@ryanheller23