Hillsborough seeks commissioner to replace mayoral candidate Jenn Weaver

Jenn-Weaver

Hillsborough Comissioner Jenn Weaver sits with her daughter Rosa Lu, 8, at the foot of the Riverwalk. 

The Hillsborough Board of Commissioners anticipates having an open seat after this year's Orange County municipal elections, as Jenn Weaver, a current commissioner, is running unopposed for the town's mayoral seat. 

The Town released a statement about the open position, with the vacancy expected to begin on Dec. 9. 

Mayor Tom Stevens has decided not to run for re-election after serving for 14 years.  Weaver’s commissioner term, however, is not up until 2021, so the town is looking to find someone to fill the position. 

“As we did almost two years ago, the Town Board wants to be thoughtful and transparent in making the appointment to fill the upcoming Board vacancy,” Stevens said in the press release. “We hope to see a diverse pool of candidates apply.” 

Candidates can apply online until Nov. 8 at 12 p.m., according to the release.

The new commissioner will be selected after the Nov. 5 election, Hillsborough commissioner Evelyn Lloyd said. 

Weaver said she felt it was her duty to run for the mayor’s position. 

“I chose to step up to the mayor's role because I believe Hillsborough needs some continuity of leadership — someone who understands the challenges we face and supports the direction we are headed,” Weaver said. “Plus, Hillsborough is a wonderful community and town. It’s an amazing opportunity to have the privilege of serving as mayor.”

The Board of Commissioners is the legislative body of Hillsborough, and its members are in charge of passing the town’s budget, laws and policies.

“In Hillsborough, the Town Board is very committed to implementing all these things consistently with the Town's mission and values,” Weaver said. 

Applicants for the commissioner position must live within Hillsborough’s town limits, be a registered voter and be at least 21 years old, she said.

Weaver said it's important for the community to be involved with local government, especially local elections. She said this is important because local government affects everyday life. 

“Voting in local elections is part of a community contract, a way to hold people with power accountable,” Weaver said. “Being involved in local government is a way to shape this community we love.”

With Stevens leaving office and Weaver potentially becoming mayor, the town and the Board are going to go through adjustments. 

“Fortunately, I have good working relationships with my colleagues on the Town Board," Weaver said. "As for the town, I imagine it will take some getting used to that Mayor Stevens and I are different people with different styles, but I imagine we’ll all be fine.”

@HeedenTaylor

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition

More in Hillsborough