Tar Heels in the pros: Breaking down Trubisky and Ebron's Week 7 performances

Trubisky scramble
Former North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky (10) stiff arms a Florida State defender in 2016.

While head coach Mack Brown has brought the excitement back to UNC football, there are also some former Tar Heels in the NFL who’ve had noteworthy performances lately. Check out the Week 7 showings for Indianapolis Colts tight end Eric Ebron and Chicago Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

Mitchell Trubisky

After suffering a dislocated left shoulder and a slight labrum tear against the Minnesota Vikings in late September, Trubisky’s season seemed to be derailed in a make-or-break year for the Bears. But in Week 7, Trubisky returned against the New Orleans Saints.

With the third-year pro under center, the Bears offense never seemed to establish a much-needed rhythm against a strong Saints defense. Trubisky finished 34 of 54 with 251 yards and two touchdowns, with most of his numbers coming after the game had already been decided. At the end of three quarters, Trubisky had totaled just 76 passing yards and Chicago trailed 29-10.

Down 26 late in the game, Trubisky hit Allen Robinson II for a touchdown and converted on a 2-point attempt before the Bears recovered an onside kick. Trubisky threw another touchdown, but it was a case of too little, too late as the Saints held on for a 36-25 victory.

Much to Bears fans' dismay, two other quarterbacks drafted after Trubisky in the 2017 — Deshaun Watson of the Texans and Patrick Mahomes II of the Chiefs — have continued to shine on their respective teams. Watson has posted 1,952 yards and 13 touchdowns to five interceptions this season, while Mahomes has totaled 2,180 yards and 15 touchdowns to one interception.

Trubisky, meanwhile, has posted 839 yards in five games along with 5 touchdowns and two interceptions.

Eric Ebron

Meanwhile, Ebron had arguably his best game of the season so far with four catches for 70 yards and one touchdown. His performance helped the Colts defeat the Houston Texans 30-23 and move into first place in the AFC South.

On a 2nd and 9 before halftime at the Houston 19-yard line, Jacoby Brissett found Ebron on a 17-yard completion. This set the Colts up on the Texans' 2-yard line before a touchdown gave them a 14-6 lead, but Ebron wasn't done.

On the opening drive of the third quarter, Brissett threw a short pass to Ebron for a 16-yard gain. The drive was then capped off on a 3rd-and-1 on the Houston 4-yard line when Ebron’s touchdown catch pushed the Indianapolis lead to 21-9 after the extra point.

Ebron bounced back nicely in Week 7, as his previous two games against Oakland and Kansas City saw him grab just one catch apiece. 

This season, Ebron has caught 13 passes on 25 targets for 206 yards and three touchdowns. The 70 yards were the most in a game by Ebron this season, and his four catches were also a season-high.

@A_ReynoldsDTH