Soendergaard and Kiger win ITA Carolina Regionals in doubles for UNC men's tennis

Simon Soendergaard UVA
Simon Soendergaard in a 2018 match against UVA. The senior paired with junior Mac Kiger to win the doubles championship on Monday.

The North Carolina men’s tennis team concluded play at the ITA Carolina Regional on Monday afternoon. The duo of senior Simon Soendergaard and junior Mac Kiger won the doubles championship in a come from behind victory Monday afternoon.

In individual matches, the Tar Heels started strong on Friday. Senior Josh Peck, seeded third, won his first round in the singles main draw of 32 with scores of 6-3 and 6-2 and his next round with scores of 6-2 in both matches. Also, in the singles main draw, Soendergaard won his first round on three matches, dropping the first match 6-4, then winning 7-5 and 6-3 to advance to the next round. Soendergaard won that round with 6-2 and 6-0 scores. 

Kiger won his first round 6-2, 6-2 and then won his matches 6-4 and 6-3 to win his second round. In a come from behind win, first-year Mark Dillon lost the first match 3-6 before winning two straight matches 6-3 to advance. Dillon later lost his second round on 6-3 and 6-1. Senior Ladd Harrison lost in his main draw round 6-3 in both matches but rebounded in the consolation bracket with 6-4 and 6-3 victories in the round.

Peck continued the momentum the next day as he advanced to the round of 16 after scores of 6-1 and 6-2. Soendergaard lost in the third round of the main draw by scores of 6-4 in both matches. Kiger also dropped in the third round on 6-2 and 7-5 losses. The duo of Harrison and Dillon picked up two victories in doubles action as did the duo of Soendergaard and Kiger. The duos advanced to the round of 16.

On Sunday, Kiger and Soendergaard advanced to the doubles quarterfinals. The duo won 6-2, lost 5-77-5, and won again 10-3 to advance. Harrison and Dillon fell in the third round in three matches— a 6-3 loss, 6-1 victory and 10-7 loss. Peck won in the round of 16. Later, his 6-4 and 6-2 score moved him into the quarterfinals.

Kiger and Soendergaard won in the doubles quarterfinals 6-2 and 6-0 on Monday. The duo advanced to the finals behind 6-3 and 6-2 in the semifinals round, before taking home the title in three sets. 

The team collectively performed well as each member contributed to the overall strong performance. Peck won five straight rounds before he lost in the semifinals. The duo of Kiger and Soendergaard won the ITA Carolina Regional doubles championship on Monday afternoon. Dillon won his first collegiate match this weekend and advanced to third round in doubles with Harrison.

For the duo of Kiger and Soendergaard the finals came down to three sets. The first set saw the duo lose on a close 7-6, but they rallied back the next match 6-4. The duo, now with momentum on their side, and things evened up had a third match. This one not as close as the previous two as the duo won 10-7.

For Peck, with five-straight wins played tough in the semifinals but couldn’t quite advance. Peck won the first match on a narrow 7-6, but then lost the second match 6-2. In a decisive third match Peck dropped 6-2.

With a hot 8-1 start on Friday in singles competition the tournament, the team played well from Friday to Monday. After winning the doubles championship on Monday, Kiger and Soendergaard qualified for the Oracle ITA National Fall Championships on Nov.6 – Nov.10.

The team will travel to Charlottesville, VA. To compete in the Charlottesville Challenger on Sunday, Oct.27 through Tuesday Oct. 29

@A_ReynoldsDTH