UNC Sangam to host 21st annual Aaj Ka Dhamaka dance competition

Sangam.jpg

This Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019, South Asian dance and culture will be on display at Memorial Hall for UNC’s 21st annual Aaj Ka Dhamaka (AKD) dance competition. Photo courtesy of Sravya Panchavati. 

South Asian dance and culture will be on display this Saturday, Nov. 16, at Memorial Hall for UNC’s annual Aaj Ka Dhamaka dance competition. Now in its 21st year, the competition is bringing together 16 different dance teams from universities across the nation. 

“I think it’s awesome for South Asian culture on campus because dance is such a big part of so many of our festivals,” said UNC senior Sravya Panchavati, the co-director of the event.

The event will be hosted by UNC Sangam. Panchavati said the AKD committee has been working tirelessly since March to put together this event. The competition will be split into two categories: Bhangra and Fusion dance. 

“Fusion typically combines different classic dances like Bharatanatyam with, for example, typical Bollywood, along with western styles like hip hop and ballet,” said Serena Mahalingam, UNC senior and sponsorship chairperson for AKD.

Bhangra is an explosive and fast-paced traditional dance originating from Punjab, Panchavati said.

The stakes are high for every competing team.

“This year we have been selected to be bid competitions for two national Bollywood competitions,” Panchavati said. 

Bids make the competition more intense, thus many teams were interested in participating in AKD, Panchavati said. After applications and auditions, 16 teams were chosen by UNC Sangam members to compete on Saturday. 

While UNC teams are not allowed to compete in the festivities, all five UNC South Asian dance and singing teams will be performing. 

Abhinav Gadudasu, UNC first-year and a Tar Heel Raas member, said that for him and his Raas teammates, the event allows them to get comfortable competing in front of large crowds and be better prepared for future competitions down the road. 

“It’s a really great way for us to show our talents to the UNC community,” Gadudasu said.

For non-dancers, the event overall allows a look into South Asian culture. 

“It’s such a great way for us to feel connected to our roots,” Mahalingam said. “To feel like we have a South Asian platform at UNC.”

This year, AKD will host 350 dancers and expects over 1,000 people to attend and spectate the competition. 

“It’s great to see everyone come together and feel so proud and passionate about their culture and want to share it,” Mahalingam said. 

The show is destined to impress, Panchavati said. 

“Every time someone comes to the show - that didn’t really know about Bollywood dance - they are so amazed and come back every year,” Panchavati said.

The event consists of three parts, with a Friday night mixer at the blue zone, the dance competition and an after-party. The dance community at UNC and across the nation is strong, Gadudasu said.

“I never really knew this dance circle would be so big," Gadudasu said. "It’s crazy how into the competitions people are and how willing everyone is to compete and have a good time.“