Former UNC-System Board of Governors chairperson Harry Smith to leave by Feb. 1

smth.jpg

Chairperson Harry Smith discussed the status of higher education in North Carolina on Friday, Sept. 20, 2019 in a meeting of the UNC Board of Governors at the Friday Center. 

Harry  Smith will serve on the Board of Governors until Feb. 1, or until  another Board member has been chosen, according to Jason Tyson, director of media relations for the UNC System. Smith's term was set to run through 2021.

He joined the BOG in 2013 and served as its chairperson from 2018 until September, when he stepped down, saying the job required too much energy. He drew criticism during his time as chairperson, especially during the aftermath of Silent Sam's toppling. 

According to Triangle Business Journal, Smith is resigning from the Board to go "back into capitalism" — focusing on his recently founded private equity firm. 

Smith has long worked in the corporate world. Before chairing the Board, he was the chairperson and chief executive officer of Flanders Corporation. 

Randy Ramsey, the previous vice chairperson, was chosen to replace Smith as Board chairperson on Oct. 1. Ramsey founded boat company Jarrett Bay Boatworks and is a partner and board member of Bluewater Yacht Sales. 

"Harry has tirelessly served this Board, University System, and state for the  past seven years for the betterment of our students," Ramsey said. "He  worked collaboratively to show that differing views and opinions are healthy for any organization — to ensure all voices are heard and great  decisions are made."

Smith's replacement will be chosen by the General Assembly.