Lumina Theater will keep its doors open after announcing in July it would close

20191118_McConnell_Lumina-13.jpg
Akin Dunston of Carrboro works the front desk at the Lumina theater in Chapel Hill. The Lumina recently announced that it would not be closing after reporting that it would.

In July, Lumina Theater announced it would be closing its doors in September. Being one of the few locally owned and independent movie theaters in Chapel Hill, Lumina has historically struggled against big chain theaters in the area. 

Now the theater is staying open under new ownership.

The July announcement was immediately followed by significant public pushback from Chapel Hill residents. Aaron Westrick, a board member of Lumina Theater, said he received an “email tornado” from unhappy Lumina moviegoers after the announcement in July. 

The public response spurred Westrick to work on a plan to keep Lumina open with building owner and Lumina partner D.R. Bryan, along with the new team of angel investors from the community. 

“D.R. Bryan agreed to keep the theater open while we worked to get a plan together, and he was incredibly supportive so we could make a viable business going forward,” Westrick said. “We also must thank the community. It was the very fast outpouring of support and interest from the community that even made us think this was possible. If people just shrugged their shoulders, then the theater would have gone away.” 

Westrick said he is not a passionate moviegoer himself, but he became involved with Lumina because he believes in the community. Westrick said he thinks Lumina is a great asset to the community. 

“It’s been a bit of a wake-up call for Lumina, and a realization that we need to invest in improvements that the community really deserves,” Westrick said.

Since July, the new management team has focused on creating a plan that addresses five areas of improvement: investment, customer experience, community involvement and special programming.

To find ways to improve customer experience, Lumina sent out a survey to Chapel Hill residents in September and found that the most requested item is comfortable seating. Westrick said the theater is discussing adopting reserved seating, ticket kiosks and healthy choices at concessions as other ways to improve overall customer experience. 

Westrick also said they hope to expand community involvement with programs such as a summer movie-making camp for local children, a morning education series for senior citizens, and a continuation of outdoor movie screenings on the lawn. Potential special programs include “Mommy and Me” movies in the morning, “Throwback” movie night, "Cereal Cinema" on Saturday mornings and an Oscar screening party. 

“Southern Village is a very family-friendly community, and it’s well suited between daycares and schools, so we want to have family-friendly programs to cater to that demographic,” Westrick said.

To cater to UNC students, Westrick said they plan to continue student discounts and add later movie times so students have the option to go when classes are done for the day.

“I’ve always enjoyed the atmosphere at Lumina, and I think the new changes will definitely make me want to go more,” said Treva Hickey, a sophomore at UNC. “I do like how cheap tickets are now, though, so I hope that doesn’t change when they implement the new changes.”

Besides internal adjustments, Lumina moviegoers can expect an alteration to the exterior aesthetic of the theater. Westrick said they are fortunate to be located in Southern Village, which already has a vibrant outdoor scene.

“We hope to plug the building into Market Street more directly,” Westrick said. “We want to take advantage of the wide sidewalks in Southern Village and the fact that the theater faces the very nice outdoor space called the southern green.”

@audreyyselleyy