Tar Heels in the Pros: Trubisky bounces back and Ebron struggles in NFL Week 10

Trubisky scramble
Former North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky (10) stiff arms a Florida State defender in 2016.

Week 10 of the NFL season was another entertaining one for football fans, with Lamar Jackson impressing, the Saints falling to the lowly Falcons and a last-minute Monday win for the Seahawks and Russell Wilson.

And for better or for worse, there were a couple of former North Carolina football players that stood out from the pack. 

First, Mitchell Trubisky and the Bears got back on the right track with a 20-13 win against the Detroit Lions. It was certainly Trubisky’s best game of the season in what’s been an otherwise disappointing campaign for the third-year quarterback. 

Currently, the Bears QB is ranked 25th out of 33 eligible quarterbacks with an 85.2 QB rating, and while he's missed two games this season, he's tied for 28th in passing touchdowns with only eight. 

Other quarterbacks with the same number? Ryan Fitzpatrick and Ryan Tannehill, the latter of whom has only played in six games this year.  

Last week, Trubisky made comments about trying to block out criticism by having TVs in the Bears' practice facility turned off.

On Sunday, the former Tar Heel had a lot of proving to do, and he did it, though his performance came against a subpar Detroit team without starter QB Matthew Stafford. Against the Lions, Trubisky threw three touchdowns and completed 69.6 percent of his passes, securing 173 passing yards and not turning the ball over once.

Meanwhile, Indianapolis Colts tight end Eric Ebron also had a noteworthy performance on Sunday, but with less than desirable results.

Like Trubisky, Ebron was under critical eye after telling reporters he met with Colts head coach Frank Reich and lobbied for a bigger role in the offense. 

“It's week 8, about that turning point when things are a little more serious, things are a little more real,’’ Ebron said. “It’s only right that you play your best players, and we try to win as many games as we can.’’

Without starting QB Jacoby Brissett and two of the team's top offensive threats, T.Y. Hilton and Parris Campbell, Reich and the Colts were prepared for Ebron to take on the responsibility he asked for. 

But Ebron was targeted 12 times by backup QB Brian Hoyer and hauled in just five of them. One of them was a potential touchdown reception that was instead ripped from Ebron's hands and intercepted by Miami Dolphins defensive back Steven Parker. 

After having a breakout year in 2018, Ebron's encore has been pretty lackluster. 

Prior to the game against Miami, Ebron had 18 catches for 248 yards and three touchdowns in eight games, as compared to his first eight games last year where he had 36 catches, 394 yards and seven touchdowns. Ebron has currently been involved in 42.2 percent of the Colts' snaps this season after playing 55.81 percent in the 2018 season. 

Despite trying 2019 seasons, both Trubisky and Ebron will look to finish the season strong and bounce back by the time the 2020 season rolls around.

@macyemeyer