UNC women's lacrosse has the No. 1 signing class with top recruit Caitlyn Wurzburger

Charlotte Sofield Duke Women's Lax
Duke attacker, Olivia Jenner (14), and UNC defender, Charlotte Sofield (15), fight for possession of the ball. No.3 UNC defeated No.13 Duke 19-5 on Saturday, April 20, 2019 at Koskinen Stadium at Duke University. UNC will enter the upcoming ACC Tournament as a No.2 seed.

The North Carolina women's lacrosse team announced last Friday that it had signed nine high school seniors to play for the team during the 2021 season. 

The class, ranked No. 1 in the country by Inside Lacrosse, is highlighted by the nation's top recruit, attacker Caitlyn Wurzburger. The Delray Beach, Florida native led American Heritage High School to a state championship in 2018. She has scored 100 goals and registered 100 assists in each of her three years in high school. 

Wurzburger is also a member of the the U.S. U19 Women's Team, which won the Lacrosse World Championships this past summer. During the tournament, she tied a team high with 21 goals, and was one of five U.S. players to be named to the all-world team. 

Fellow top-15 recruits joining Wurzburger at North Carolina are five-star midfielder Shannon Smith from Baltimore, Maryland, the No. 9 overall recruit, and five-star attacker Reilly Casey from Alexandria, Virginia, the No. 12 overall recruit. 

Those three recruits are joined by No. 22 Alyssa Long from Springfield, Pennsylvania, No. 24 Alexa Gentile from Northport, New York, Ella Little from Baltimore, Maryland, Emily Magalotti from Wyomissing, Pennsylvania, Amelia Sheehan from Bronxville, New York, and Brooke Baker from Raleigh, N.C.

Little, Magalotti and Sheehan were all named recruits on the rise by Inside Lacrosse. 

The soon-to-be Tar Heels will join a program, led by head coach Jenny Levy, that captured its last NCAA Tournament championship back in 2016, defeating Maryland in the NCAA title game and posting a 20-2 record on the season. 

Last year, UNC went 17-4 and 5-2 in the ACC, making it to the third round of the NCAA Tournament before losing 15-14 in two overtimes to Boston College. 

@bg_keyes