Tshitenge and Bennett post double-doubles in UNC's 85-54 win over Charleston Southern

20191115_Brown_WomensBasketballvCSU11.jpg
The UNC women's basketball team cheers from the sideline. The Tar Heels beat the Buccaneers 85-54 on Friday, Nov, 15, 2019 at Carmichael Arena.

The North Carolina women’s basketball team continued its strong start to the season with a commanding 85-54 victory over Charleston Southern. 

In the team's third straight home in Carmichael Arena, two Tar Heels posted double-doubles and senior Taylor Koenen went 4-9 from deep as UNC tied a program record of 14 made three pointers.

Both figuratively and literally, Charleston Southern started this game at a disadvantage. Figuratively, the Buccaneers were facing UNC team with more length than them at every position, which forced them to run a compact zone defense for a majority of the game. In the literal sense, the Buccaneers were assessed a technical foul prior to tip-off, allowing Koenen to sink two free throws before the clock ever began to tick. 

From there, the three point barrage began. Head coach Courtney Banghardt’s team wasted no time taking advantage of Charleston Southern’s conservative zone defense, shooting 10-22 from three in the first half. 

No player took advantage of the open threes as much as Koenen. She led UNC at the half with 13 points off 4-7 shooting, helping her team build a comfortable 51-25 advantage at the break.

To begin the second half, UNC’s offensive production slowed but its effort picked up on the defensive end.

Charleston Southern struggled to get quality shots over UNC’s length and was unable to get second-chance points off rebounds. The Tar Heels out-rebounded their opponent 57-36, allowing UNC to push the ball up the court with senior guards Shayla Bennett and Madinah Muhammad. 

When the Tar Heels weren’t raining in three pointers or running the fast break, they could rely on forwards Malu Tshitenge and Janelle Bailey to clean up the offensive boards and score over smaller defenders in the paint. 

After running away with the game early, UNC was able to play its bench for a majority of the fourth quarter to go into the weekend with a satisfying 85-54 victory.

While multiple Tar Heels played well in the blowout win, Shayla Bennett’s output was especially notable, posting a double-double with assists and rebounds. This unique stat line is rare, especially from a guard standing at 5’9. 

Tshitenge, a first-year, towered over the competition and scored a team-high eight second half points on her way to a double-double with 15 points and 16 rebounds.

Play largely uncompetitive by the beginning of the fourth quarter, but junior three-point specialist Leah Church punctuated the game with 7:15 remaining. With 13 made three-pointers, UNC needed one more to tie the program record. 

Church pulled up from the right side of the win and splashed the team’s 14th three of the night while absorbing the contact from her defender. Her and-one three all but solidified what was a historic night from deep for the Tar Heels as they walked away with a 85-54 victory.

Banghardt emphasized after the game that non-conference games such as these allow her team to explore new aspects of its identity, and tonight it was finding their three-point stroke after playing primarily in the paint for their first two games. While UNC hasn't figured it all out, it is moving in the right direction.

The North Carolina women’s basketball team returns to Carmichael Arena next Friday to face Elon at 6pm.

@fleetwilson