Lilly Higgs leads UNC swim team, qualifies for finals twice at Toyota U.S. Open

DTH_Sequence-20191025_Cofield_Swim_003.jpg
Freshman, Adam Kerr competes in the Men's 200 Yard Butterly event against Georgia on Friday, Oct. 25, 2019

The North Carolina swim and dive team competed in the Toyota U.S. Open from Wednesday to Saturday in Atlanta. Sophomore Lilly Higgs qualified for the finals of the women’s 100 breaststroke and the women’s 200 breaststroke.

The Tar Heels kicked things off on Thursday when junior Dimitrios Dimitriou placed 30th overall in the men’s 400 freestyle heats with a time of 3:56.57.

In the ninth heat of the women’s 50 freestyle, junior Emma Cole placed ninth with a time of 26.04. Sophomore Heidi Lowe also competed in the women’s 50 freestyle heats, tied for 42nd overall with a time of 26.16.

Sophomore Jacob Rauch placed seventh in the third heat of the men’s 50 freestyle at 24.09. Junior Tyler Hill tied for 53rd overall with a time of 23.28 in the men’s 50 freestyle heats. In the 15th heat of men’s 50 freestyle, senior Andrew Heise placed eigth with a time of 24.30.

Cole highlighted a productive Friday for North Carolina when she finished with the top entry time in the fifth heat of the women’s 100 butterfly at 1:00.85. In the women’s 200 freestyle, Cole finished second in her heat with an entry time of 1:59.23 and placed 56th overall in the event with a time of 2:03.99. 

Higgs qualified for two finals during the Toyota U.S. Open: the women’s 100 breaststroke and the women’s 200 breaststroke.

Higgs finished first in the Final C group of the 200 breaststroke with a mark of 2:31.23. The sophomore finished 1.4 seconds ahead of the next swimmer in the group.

In the 100 breaststroke, Higgs placed seventh out of eight swimmers in the Final B group with a time of 1:09.92, 1.56 seconds behind first.

Competition was tight in the 50 freestyle races for the women.

In the women’s 50 freestyle, Cole placed ninth in her heat but was only 1.39 seconds behind first in the overall 50 freestyle heats.

Head coach Mark Gangloff commended his team on its performance and said the team has maintained the same level of intensity throughout the last few weeks.

“One thing they really did a nice job with is just staying tuned into what can be a long competition,” Gangloff said. “They were as good on the last day as they were on the first day when we went into our invite before Thanksgiving.”

Gangloff emphasized that in the short races the mechanics were more important in the shorter races, making it more detail-oriented. This is the biggest thing the team will work on before its next race in January.

The Tar Heels travel to Minneapolis, Minn. to compete in the USA Diving Winter Nationals from Tuesday, Dec. 17, to Sunday, Dec. 22.

@A_ReynoldsDTH