Chase's new lactose-free ice cream leaves a bad taste in some Tar Heels' mouths

20200122_Katsanis_chase-ice-cream-7.jpg
Lactose-free ice cream sits in a student's bowl on the counter as another student gets ice cream from the machine at Chase Dining Hall on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2020.

With the beginning of the semester comes a new dessert option to Chase Dining Hall — lactose-free ice cream.

Carolina Dining Services decided to replace the soft serve ice cream it previously offered at Chase with a lactose-free version on Jan. 7. The change followed requests from students looking for a lactose-free option, CDS said in an email.

“We are monitoring feedback from students and initial response via Napkin Talk and social media has been positive,” CDS said in the email. 

Napkin Talk is a program that allows on-campus dining hall visitors to leave feedback on napkins for CDS, which are displayed on bulletin boards in both Chase and Lenoir Hall. 

But not all feedback has been positive. 

Lauren Peterson, a junior media and journalism major, said in a message that she loves lactose-free milk even though she is not lactose-intolerant. Despite this, she said, she does not like the new ice cream at Chase.

“I have noticed that certain brands of lactose-free milk have a strange after-taste which is the same lingering after-taste the ice cream in Chase has,” Peterson said. 

Other students appreciate the switch and wish it was served in both Chase and Lenoir. 

“I have not personally tried it, but my suitemate is lactose intolerant, and she tried it, and she loves it,” Jillian Bratton, a student majoring in neuroscience, said. “She really wishes it was served in both dining halls.”

Carolina Dining Services said Lenoir still offers regular dairy ice cream and has no plans to make any changes. 

“Having two dining halls on campus with soft serve machines allows Carolina Dining Services to offer a greater variety of options for all Tar Heels, so everyone can enjoy ice cream!” CDS said in the email. 

Peterson said in her message that she wishes CDS would bring the old ice cream back. 

“I used to love getting ice cream from Chase and, although, I agree that they should have lactose-free options for those who are lactose intolerant, I think they should also provide regular ice cream,” she said.