Durham restaurant and lounge to celebrate Black History Month through 'Paint n' Sip'

paint n' sip.jpg

Attendees of The House Restaurant and Lounge's Paint n' Sip event on Jan. 25, 2020 can choose to paint a king, queen or an African mask template. Photo courtesy of Justin Q. Young.

Painting, '90s hip-hop and drinks are coming to The House Restaurant and Catering on Saturday, Jan. 25. 

“Enjoy some casual fun in the arts and music and eating — it’s a good vibe," said Ramsey Richardson, owner of The House. 

Paint n’ Sip is an event that has been hosted at The House many times, and always garners success and positive reviews, said Richardson. 

The idea was conceived by Justin Q. Young, an artist from Virginia, who travels to different cities hosting events which promote art and positive energy. The idea behind the Paint n' Sip is simple: bring people together, create a relaxing environment and paint. 

Typically, Young will sketch outlines of a handful of images beforehand and attendees will paint as they wish, using the templates as guidance. 

The sketched outlines are always meant to promote positivity, ranging from dream vacation locations to picturesque landscapes. 

“We always promote self-love, culture and the dynamic of Blackness," Young said.  

This Saturday, there will be a king, queen and an African mask template to choose from. 

“I wanted to take advantage of Black History Month — come up with an image that is historical in nature and something that would appeal to the masses,” Young said. 

The painting is a very calming experience and allows everyone to tap into their creative sides, Young said. 

“Whether you’re a boss or entrepreneur, we want to encourage positivity and self-love,” Young said. 

More than just a creative outlet, the event is always a great social event, Richardson said. The event is a frequent choice for birthdays, a night out with friends and coworkers or a date. 

To create a complete experience, Young also picks local DJs to play at each of his events. Young said the DJ helps keep the correct vibe, playing music appropriate to the theme of the specific event. For this Saturday, Young has teamed up once again with 919 local Arnetta Brown, also known as DJ Butta. 

“My involvement is keeping the crowd involved and engaged," Brown said. "Music is one of the things that can bring people together. They can forget about the reality and just enjoy the moment.” 

This Saturday, Brown will be playing throwback hip-hop and R&B hits, hoping to have the audience feeling nostalgic and cheerful. 

For Brown, the event is more than just a relaxing night. 

“Unity — bringing people together,” Brown said. “Even though it’s a pre-Black history paint night, the event is for people of all nationalities.”

Young feels the same way. 

“It’s important anytime when you can have people come together who don’t normally come together," Young said. 

Young believes his events are a moment to step out of the fast-paced journey that is life. 

“Just taking a moment and come together and just relax,” Young said. “Have some lighthearted fun amidst the business of life.” 

@notaditya