Three Tar Heels will be enshrined into the N.C. Sports Hall of Fame in 2020

20191016_Carter_FootballvDuke-1-7.jpg
Head Coach Mack Brown celebrates with students and fans after UNC's win on Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019. UNC defeated Duke 20-17. UNC had not beat Duke since 2015.

The Tar Heels' presence in the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame just got larger. Mack Brown, Dennis Craddock and Julius Peppers will be enshrined as the 62nd, 63rd and 64th members with a connection to UNC.

The N.C. Sports Hall of Fame is located in the N.C. Museum of History in Raleigh and has been displaying important memorabilia from its inductees for 57 years. The banquet for the class of 2020 will take place on May 1 at the Raleigh Convention Center.

"This year's class encompasses all fields of athletics, including professional, collegiate, high school and special achievements," N.C. Sports Hall of Fame President Nora Lynn Finch said in a statement. "This 57th class of inductees and their outstanding accomplishments continue to build on the rich sports heritage of North Carolina. We look forward to celebrating this special time in our state's sports history."

Head football coach Mack Brown, former track and field coach Dennis Craddock and former two-sport standout Julius Peppers all had illustrious careers at UNC. Here are some of their greatest achievements.

Mack Brown

Brown is the winningest football coach in UNC's history and is currently attempting to bring the program back to national prominence.

The Hall of Fame coach's career has spanned 31 seasons with stops at Appalachian State, Tulane, North Carolina and Texas. His 251 career victories at those schools are good for ninth all-time in FBS.

Brown's most successful tenure was at Texas where he coached from 1998-2013 and won the national championship in 2005. He was awarded the Paul W. "Bear" Bryant National Coach of the Year that same season.

Dennis Craddock

Craddock is one of the most legendary track and field coaches of all time. He is a member of the United States Track and Field/Cross Country Coaches Association Hall of Fame and coached the Tar Heels to 45 ACC Championships.

Craddock's teams won 29 ACC women's track and field titles, six ACC men's track and field titles, three ACC women's cross country titles and one ACC men's cross country title.The UNC women also earned 17 top-10 finishes in NCAA Championship meets.

The legendary coach was ACC coach of the year 31 times and honored as the National Coach of the year for men's indoor track and field in 1995.

Julius Peppers

Peppers was a two-sport athlete at UNC but was known for his accomplishments on the football field. 

In 2000, he led the nation with 15 sacks and had 24 tackles for loss, setting the UNC single-season record. However, Peppers' most successful season came in 2001 when he was a unanimous All-American and won the Chuck Bednarik award as the best defensive player in the nation.

After his successful campaign in Chapel Hill, Peppers played 17 NFL seasons, compiling 159.5 sacks in his career, the fourth-most in NFL history.

@matt_chilson