Column: The show must go on

Jessica Hardison.jpg

Jessica Hardison is a senior majoring in political science and public relations. She is the 2019-2020 Arts & Culture editor. Photo courtesy of Brandon Standley. 

The local arts community has always been well-loved and well-supported. 

With many Chapel Hill- and Triangle-area art galleries, theaters, music venues and concert hubs making the difficult decision to close until further notice due to the spread of the novel coronavirus, it may feel like the arts community ceases to exist.

But the arts desk at The Daily Tar Heel has every plan in place to keep the show running. 

Our reporters are working diligently to bring the local community the most up-to-date information not only regarding closures and future plans for these arts venues, but we also have more human interest stories in the works to show how the arts community is still going strong.

The stage may be empty and the gallery may be closed, but the arts is still very much alive, and we intend to capture how our community continues to support local art in all its forms over the course of the next few weeks and months. 

Specifically, we will focus our coverage in three areas:

1. We will continue producing features and enterprise pieces to highlight local artists and their stories. Just because production is halted doesn't mean these people's stories no longer exist.

2. Updates on local venues as they are made and released. We will share the plans these venues have, how those decisions were reached, what you can do now that your plans have been altered or canceled and any other information we can provide.

3. We will gather arts-related activities that you can continue to participate in and engage with. The platform may be different and even unconventional, but it's just another way to experiment with the arts. 

Moving forward, we also want to hear from you, our readers. What do you want to see covered? Please reach out to arts@dailytarheel.com to share ideas for stories and pass along ways our community is still finding ways to engage with and celebrate the arts in times of uncertainty. Let us know what you want to see us cover, whether it's coronavirus related or not. 

Even if you think we've seen something, share it with us anyway. We want to bring forward all information to make sure our readers have as much knowledge as possible. 

Just as we will continue to support the arts in our reporting, we encourage you all to support local journalism so we can bring you the most up-to-date information as it is released. If you can give, please do so. Share information with us and with others. Support local art. 

@JessHardison31