Presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar comes to Raleigh for Fox News town hall

amy klobuchar
Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) speaks at the California Democrats' State Convention at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. Taking place from May 31 to June 2, the convention featured 14 presidential candidate speakers and hosted an audience of more than 3,000. Photo courtesy of Anna Vazhaeparambil.

On Feb. 27, Democratic presidential candidate and U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar came to Raleigh for a Fox News town hall to speak to voters about her platform.

A big question coming from both the moderators and voters was about Klobuchar’s ability to win the nomination for the Democratic party. The moderators said at the beginning of the town hall that Klobuchar stands in sixth place in Fox News polls. Two days after this town hall, Klobuchar suffered a loss in the South Carolina primaries, getting 3.2 percent of the vote. 

“How do you convince Democratic voters that you cannot only win the nomination, but that you have what it takes to win nationwide,” moderator Martha MacCallum asked. 

Klobuchar said the first step to winning the nomination for the presidency was the Fox News Town Hall. She said the country is in a unique moment, and the United States needs someone who can work with both Republicans and Democrats. 

“I am the only one in the Senate left on that stage that has a track record of doing that in a big way,” Klobuchar said. “I passed over 100 bills as the lead Democrat.”

Klobuchar also took questions from the audience.

“The coronavirus has spread like wildfire,” Adrienne Kelly-Lumpkin of Raleigh said. “As president, what steps would you take to contain this disease and to prevent pandemics in the future?”

Klobuchar said the most important thing to do in light of the coronavirus is to ensure Americans remain informed about what is happening, as well as disease prevention.

“We were asked about it at the debate, and I actually noted a lot of candidates give out their website, but I gave out the CDC website,” Klobuchar said. 

Klobuchar also said there are three things she thinks are important: America must work with other countries, support its local health providers and support the development of a coronavirus vaccine. 

“I just don’t think we can isolate ourselves from the rest of the world,” Klobuchar said. “We are all in this together.” 

Duke University student Jason Scharff, a Mike Bloomberg supporter, asked Klobuchar a question concerning her stance in the polls. 

“Is it time for some of the more moderate candidates, such as yourself, to try to consolidate behind one candidate,” Scharff asked the senator. 

Klobuchar discussed how she pushed to have the former New York City mayor on the stage because she wanted to show money does not determine politics. She went on to mention the constant ads Bloomberg has put out, stating it does not help Americans do their own research as to who should be the Democratic nominee. 

“I know I don’t have the biggest bank account, but since the debates, I have been able to bring in — from regular people — millions and millions of dollars that have allowed me to continue this campaign the right way,” Klobuchar said. “I think we should pick the best candidate, not the candidate that has the biggest bank account.”

Another major issue discussed in the town hall was the climate crisis. When asked about the regulation rollbacks for private businesses, Klobuchar expressed concern for some of the rollbacks. 

“I think there are some things that have been rolled back that are very dangerous, like methane rules,” she said. “I could list a number of them that I think are concerning.” 

The senator noted climate change is happening fast, and the United States needs to act fast in order to slow down the constant rise in temperature. She said that, in order to fight climate change while ensuring people keep their jobs, the country should get back into the international climate change agreement. 

“When the president took us out of it, we were the only country, except Syria and Nicaragua, that were not in it,” Klobuchar said. “They are now in it.”

Klobuchar ended her town hall by saying she would love to have a policy debate, especially with the president. 

“He has been the one who has been throwing around names,” she said. “I don’t like it. It’s not the kind of president that I am going to be. A new president like myself will bring people together. That’s what we should be doing.”

The North Carolina primary is this Tuesday, March 3. 

@HeedenTaylor