North Carolina reports first case of coronavirus in Wake County

20191119_Duong_RoyCooperDTH-4.jpg
On Friday, Feb. 28, 2020, according to a press release from Gov. Roy Cooper, North Carolina reported its first case of coronavirus, also known as COVID-19.

North Carolina reported its first case of coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, on Friday according to a press release from Gov. Roy Cooper.

The release said this is an isolated case, and the illness is not widespread throughout the state.

A Wake County resident tested positive after traveling to Washington State and being exposed to a long-term care facility. The North Carolina State Laboratory of Public Health conducted the test and is waiting for confirmation from U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lab.

The patient is waiting in isolation at their home, according to the press release.

Local health officials are monitoring people who have had contact with the person to contain any spread, according to the press release. While waiting for more information, the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services is treating all potential cases as positive.

“I know that people are worried about this virus, and I want to assure North Carolinians our state is prepared,” Cooper said. “Our task force and state agencies are working closely with local health departments, health care providers and others to quickly identify and respond to cases that might occur.”

Wake County Public Health Director Chris Kippes said the department is checking in on the person twice a day.