Thursday October 21st

Cooper orders majority of facilities in the state to close

<p>Gov. Roy Cooper stands before members of the media following a press conference introducing Well Dot Inc. to the Chapel Hill area on Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2019.</p>
Buy Photos

Gov. Roy Cooper stands before members of the media following a press conference introducing Well Dot Inc. to the Chapel Hill area on Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2019.

Gov. Roy Cooper announced new restrictions on Monday as North Carolina grapples with slowing the spread of COVID-19.

He is requiring the majority of retail locations, aside from grocery stores, to close starting this week to encourage social distancing. This impacts facilities like gyms or nail salons, but excludes restaurants, which can still be open for takeout

All public schools will also be closed until May 15.

He asked volunteers to provide medical supplies if they can, and he called on North Carolina's manufacturers to contribute as well.

"Even though we are keeping our physical distance, our connections to one another are more meaningful than ever," Cooper said.

N.C. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Mandy Cohen said North Carolina is in the top 10 among states in testing. There are 297 cases in the state as of Monday morning, and more than 8,000 tests have been completed.

The order takes effect on Wednesday.

@ampogarcic

Anna Pogarcic

Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major. 

Welcome Back Edition 2021