Column: Print may be stopping, but we aren’t

Marco and Emily.jpg
(From left) Editorial Managing Editor Marco Quiroz-Gutierrez and Online Managing Editor Emily Siegmund are the Co-Editors-In-Chief for The Daily Tar Heel.

Due to the increasing severity of the COVID-19 outbreak, the April 1, 2020 edition of The Daily Tar Heel will be the only paper the newspaper makes for a while. This is a nearly unprecedented event in the history of the DTH. Print production has only been suspended or significantly reduced on a few occasions, including during World War II.

But, while we may be reducing the print aspect of our production, we are still committed to bringing vital local news to the UNC and greater Orange County communities. Luckily, unlike during World War II, we have the technology to stay more connected than ever before. That’s why our newsroom staff, advertising team and 1893 Brand Studio have been working just as hard — while practicing responsible, remote social distancing — to ensure our online production stays updated and responsive to the needs of the community. 

During this time of limited operations, The Daily Tar Heel will be financially restrained, as many local news organizations will. But, we are determined to keep producing content and paying our staff fairly. We have already seen an outpouring of support from alumni and readers, and we are incredibly grateful for their contribution. If you are able and inclined, you can donate to our organization here.

If you are looking for local updates, check out the 2020 Coronavirus Outbreak section of our website, which is an easily-accessible archive of all of our coverage related to COVID-19. You can also sign up for daily newsletters, like DTH Headlines or DTH at a Glance, which bring all the essential news you need to live your life at UNC and in the surrounding communities right to your inbox. If you live in Orange County, the weekly OC Report newsletter can give you a quick rundown of vital local news every Monday morning. 

We know how uncertain and overwhelming the current news cycle is, and we thank our readers for their continued support.

Sincerely,

Emily Siegmund, Co-Editor-in-Chief 

Marco Quiroz-Gutierrez, Co-Editor-in-Chief