Marco Quiroz-Gutierrez

Articles

Marco Quiroz-Gutierrez is a graduating business journalism major in the Hussman School of Journalism and Media at UNC. Quiroz-Gutierrez spent four years at The Daily Tar Heel and was most recently the 2020 co-editor-in-chief with fellow senior Emily Siegmund.

Farewell column: Here's to the unexpected

I applied to The Daily Tar Heel on a whim, like many others, because I liked to write. I was a pre-admitted business major at the time and I thought I was on a linear career path to some future job in the business world — one of those jobs people see as impressive, but actually mostly consists of bullshit.

Yeshua Sanchez, a manager at Cosmic Cantina, takes an order in Cosmic on Thursday, July 11, 2019. 

UNC student starts GoFundMe for Cosmic Cantina kitchen workers as hours get cut

The Cosmic Cantina cashier who started the fundraiser cites the hard work, passion, effort, and skill of his coworkers, and believes they are well-deserving of the extra funds. Despite their fears of contracting the coronavirus, Cosmic Cantina's staff keeps going to work. "I'm very scared of getting sick with the virus, but what're we going to do? We need to at least earn a little money,” said one kitchen worker. 

Media

Junior computer science major Suvrat Jhamb poses at Chapel of the Cross before voting in his first midterm election. Jhamb, who was born in India and got his citizenship four years ago, went to the polls with his two friends.

first time voter

Student Body President Ashton Martin updates the 101st Undergraduate Senate at their second meeting of the year. Photo by Marco Quiroz-Gutierrez.

IMG_0215.jpeg