Serving the students and the Unversity community since 1893

Wednesday December 2nd

UNC System plans to refund students for unused housing and meal plans

UNC system Interim President Dr. Bill Roper makes his report at the start of a meeting of the Board of Governors at the Friday Center on Friday, Jan. 25, 2019.
Buy Photos UNC system Interim President Dr. Bill Roper makes his report at the start of a meeting of the Board of Governors at the Friday Center on Friday, Jan. 25, 2019.

The UNC System is planning on refunding students for unused housing and dining services due to COVID-19-related campus closures, according to a system press release Monday. 

The chief financial officers at each UNC system institution are working with the system office to determine refund amounts, according to the press release 

“It is our commitment to all UNC System students and parents to get this done as quickly as possible," interim system President Bill Roper said in a statement. "It is also our obligation to get this done right. We hope to be able to announce specifics for processing and  issuing refunds in the upcoming weeks.”

UNC System schools, including UNC-Chapel Hill, have moved to remote class instruction in response to the pandemic. 

Earlier this month, the UNC System directed students to leave their on-campus residence halls unless granted an exception to stay there. The system also announced that campus dining services must be reduced to takeout or similar options. 

UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz sent a campus-wide email later that day, directing students to move out of their residence halls unless granted a waiver for "special circumstances."

Latest Print Edition

Print Edition Print Archive

One Vote N.C. Voter Guide