UNC Athletics launches crowdfunding campaign to aid student athletes

191101_Carter_MbbVWSSU-718.jpg
Rameses hypes up the crowd during the exhibition game against Winston Salem State in the Smith Center on Friday, Nov. 1, 2019. UNC beat WSSU 96-61.

The UNC athletics department announced the creation of a new student-athlete support initiative, the Helping Heels Fund, in a press release Wednesday. The fund will be a crowdfunding effort that allows UNC sports fans to donate money and help student-athletes and their families who are struggling as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The fund is a joint effort between UNC Athletics and the Rams Club, and will work in tandem with the already existing Student-Athlete Assistance Fund to help over 800 student-athletes and their families pay for critical expenses such as medical bills, groceries, technology for online learning and more.

With the cancellation of spring sports, many UNC athletes were sent home before their seasons came to an end. 

“Many of our Tar Heels and their families, like so many more across our state, nation and world, are facing challenges because of this terrible pandemic,” UNC Director of Athletics Bubba Cunningham said in the press release. “This fund is an opportunity to offer resources beyond what our department is currently able to provide.”

The fund is one of multiple efforts by both UNC and the NCAA to provide support to student-athletes struggling with the effects of COVID-19.

On March 26, the NCAA Board of Governors voted to distribute $225 million to Division I members to support college athletes through the pandemic, beginning in June. 

“We are living in unprecedented times not only for higher education, but for the entire nation and around the globe as we face the COVID-19 public health crisis,” Michael Drake, chairperson of the Board of Governors and president of The Ohio State University, said in an NCAA press release. “As an Association, we must acknowledge the uncertainties of our financial situation and continue to make thoughtful and prudent decisions on how we can assist conferences and campuses in supporting student-athletes now and into the future.”

UNC Athletics has also launched other measures to help student-athletes through the turbulent period. In mid-April, UNC launched Heels at Home, an online platform and weekly newsletter that provides support to student-athletes while they are away from campus during the pandemic. The site includes resources for career development, nutrition guidance and tips for staying motivated and managing anxiety. 

@pjdaman12