North Carolina rowing unveils 2021 spring schedule

Myles_0090E.jpg
Ashley Myles, the new assistant rowing coach. Photo courtesy of Mary Lee Gibson.

The North Carolina rowing team announced its 2021 spring schedule on Wednesday morning. The schedule features two trips to South Carolina and one to Virginia before the Lake Wheeler Invitational and ACC Championship to wrap up the season. 

The team is looking to row competitively against other schools for the first time since March 7, 2020, before the COVID-19 pandemic stifled the Tar Heels' season. Interim co-head coaches Emilie Gross and Thomas Revelle will lead UNC for the 2021 campaign.

"Racing is going to look different than usual this spring," Gross said in a statement for GoHeels. "We are doing more day trips early in the season, fans will likely not be allowed and we will be taking two buses — just to name a few.

"However, between the start and the finish line we have 2,000 meters and that is unchanged. We are here to compete for those 2,000 meters and know we have a very competitive schedule lined up for us with five different race weekends. I cannot wait to get the team back on the race course."

The Tar Heels will open their season with a trip to Clemson, South Carolina, where the Tigers will host North Carolina and Duke on Saturday, March 6.

From there, UNC will have a little over two weeks off before it heads to Charlottesville, Virginia, to face Tennessee and Central Florida on Friday, March 26.

North Carolina returns to Clemson for a rematch against the Tigers and to compete against the Oklahoma Sooners on Saturday, April 17.

The Tar Heels will conclude the regular season by hosting 12 teams at the Lake Wheeler Invitational in Raleigh from April 23 to April 25.

The 2021 ACC Championship will be hosted by Clemson at Lake Hartwell in Clemson, South Carolina, on May 14 and May 15.

Over the offseason, UNC brought in three-time Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference champion Ashley Myles as a volunteer assistant coach and eight new first-years to join the rowing team.

@McMastersJ