BOG discusses plans for new relationships with community colleges

1-21-21 BOG.png
The UNC Board of Governors met on July 22 where they reviewed tuition policy recommendations.

On Thursday, the Board of Governors met to discuss recent UNC System controversies, review tuition policy recommendations and discuss updates on university and community college relations. 

What’s new?

• The BOG discussed recent controversies and “culture war battles” that have concerned the system. 
    • UNC-System President Peter Hans said recent criticisms of the University are beneficial for its development and democratic principles. 
      • “The entire history of this University is filled with high profile fights over what gets taught, who gets to teach it and who has a right to learn,” he said. “I am so grateful to live in a place where the content and direction of higher education are front page news and objects of public concern.”
    • Randall Ramsey, chairperson of the BOG, said he agreed with Hans’ comment. 
      • “I cannot think of more appropriate words being spoken today,” he said. 
  • The Budget and Finance Committee presented its updates from its committee meeting on Wednesday. 
    • Committee Chairperson James Holmes Jr. said the committee reviewed recommendations to the current tuition policy, which has not been updated since 2007. 
      • “(Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration) Jennifer Haygood gave an overview of the revisions, including necessary modifications to restructure and update the policy to reflect current practices related to establish tuition and fee rates and other statutory requirements related to tuition and fees,” Holmes said.
    • Holmes also said the committee approved two new capital improvement projects for UNC-Chapel Hill for $3.7 million. 
      • Replacement and modernization of Neurosciences Research Building lab equipment. 
      • Parking lot and parking deck camera upgrades. 
    • The UNC School of the Arts was approved for a request for $400,000 for renovations for its performance venues, Holmes said.
  • The BOG also discussed potential changes on the UNC System’s relationship with community colleges.
    • Hans said it’s necessary for the BOG to prioritize a deeper coordination with the community college system to get rid of the barriers that increase costs and cause frustration for students. 
      • “We're also doing much more closely with our partners at the community college system to get rid of the barriers that raise costs and frustrate students,” he said. 
    • Chairperson of the UNC Faculty Assembly Timothy Ives discussed an initiative to standardize a course numbering system to make the transition from community college to university easier.  
      • “(UNC-System Vice President for Academic Programs, Faculty and Research) Dr. English and Vice President (for Academic Affairs) van Noort are working with faculty across the state to make that available for the two plus two years,” Ives said. “We're going to make sure that they get that.” 

What’s next? 

• The BOG’s next regular session meeting will be held on September 15. 

Who is on the BOG?

• The BOG has 24 voting members, elected by the Senate and House of Representatives of the North Carolina General Assembly.
  • The president of the UNC Association of Student Governments serves as a nonvoting, ex officio member of the BOG.