UNC announces revised COVID-19 community standards effective July 12

katsanis_old_well_file.JPG
Students in masks walk past the old well on Friday, Aug. 14, 2020.

The COVID-19 community standards have been updated for the second half of the summer, according to a campus message from Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz. 

The new standards will go into place on July 12 and are aligned with the current public health guidelines for vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals. 

With the revised standards, the following restrictions will no longer be in place: 

• Classroom and building capacity limits.
  • Event and gathering limits. 
  • Building access restrictions.
  • UNC Dining and Transportation and Parking operations restrictions. 
  • Domestic travel restrictions have been lifted, but international restrictions are still in place.

According to the message, masks will be required while inside University buildings, however masks may be removed in personal spaces — including residence hall rooms, while eating or drinking and during exercise. 

Masks will also not be required outdoors, and vaccinated faculty may remove masks while teaching as long as social distancing is maintained. 

The mask policies will be monitored and re-evaluated on a weekly basis. 

Unvaccinated students will be required to participate in the Carolina Together Testing Program on a weekly basis. The University recommends — but does not require — all students and faculty to get vaccinated if they are able. 

“As we look to the future, we will work together to shape our reimagined University, and we need you to return to campus to do that,” the message read. “We know that by working together and supporting each other we will ensure a successful return to campus.”