Student resources available to all UNC students

20210608_Wilder_DorosinAndWLC-33.jpg

Kim Abels, director of the UNC Writing and Learning Center, poses outside of the Student and Academic Services Building on June 8, 2021.

From helping students with coursework and assisting them in navigating the job market to providing mental health services and services for Latinx and LGBTQ students, UNC provides many different in-person and virtual resources to help them succeed. 

The Writing and Learning Center

The Writing Center and the Learning Center are located in SASB North on South Campus and offer an array of different services to give students any extra support they may need.

At the Writing Center, students can make appointments with writing coaches to help students improve their general writing skills and assist on individual projects. 

These can consist of papers for classes or any type of application essay, either for a scholarship, graduate program or study abroad opportunity, Kim Abels, the director of the Writing and Learning Center, said.

Teresa Vazquez, a junior English and political science major, said these resources are helpful for students of all writing abilities. 

"I think, regardless of who you are, regardless of what expertise you might have, it is a resource that comes in handy," she said. 

At the Learning Center, students can meet with academic coaches to talk about time management and organization, test prep and general study strategies, Abels said. 

Abels said students can also speak with peer tutors and attend coaching groups and workshops. The center provides support for over 100 different subjects, support for students with ADHD and other learning disorders, and hosts Long Nights Against Procrastination with the Undergraduate Library. 

Simone Afriyie, a 2021 UNC graduate and a previous peer tutor at the Learning Center, said that both the Writing and Learning Centers have helpful resources on their websites.

"There are so many handouts on the websites that are incredibly helpful," she said. "Any concepts that you could think of like study strategies, effectively reading, highlighting, taking notes, things like 'I don't want to make a whole session for this, but I just need some advice about how to do it.'"

Information Technology Services

If a student ever encounters technical issues, ITS is available to help.

Assistant Vice Chancellor for Customer Experience and Engagement Kate Hash said ITS provides services to both first-years and returning students during the summer.  ITS also offers loaner laptops for those who purchase their computer through the Carolina Computing Initiative.

Hash said it's important for first-years to check their emails for tech prep tips — including setting up eduroam and troubleshooting Microsoft Office issues.

University Career Services

On top of academic resources, UNC provides career services through University Career Services. Tierney Bates, UCS Interim Executive Director, said UCS helps students with more than just their resumes and cover letters.

Through UCS, students can schedule appointments to talk about career goals, prepare for interviews and career fairs and learn how to navigate Handshake and LinkedIn. Like the Writing and Learning Center, the UCS website also has resources available. 

Bates said students can also sign up to take the Life-Career Design course through the education department to learn how to adapt their careers to their passions and skills, learn what questions to ask employers, learn how to negotiate a salary and understand the benefits and culture of organizations.

Study Abroad Office

For students interested in global travel, the Study Abroad Office provides resources for students to help plan their educational voyages. 

Associate Dean of Study Abroad Jason Kinnear said studying abroad can have a valuable impact on students' personal, professional and academic growth. 

"Many students credit their study abroad experience with giving them more confidence and self-reliance and guiding their future professional goals," he said. "We encourage students to start planning early for their study abroad experience."

Counseling and Psychological Services

Counseling and Psychological Services, also known as CAPS, provides services for students' mental health needs. 

Allen O'Barr, Director of CAPS, said CAPS provides one-on-one therapy, group therapy, medication management and referral coordination. 

He also said the first year of college can be a time of transition and uncertainty for students.  

“We want students to know that supporting their mental health throughout this adjustment, and always, is our primary goal,” O'Barr said.

The Carolina Women's Center

The Carolina Women's Center offers programs such as HAVEN workshops and resources for pregnant individuals at the University.

Holly Lovern, Gender Violence Services Coordinator at the Carolina Women's Center said her goal is to provide a supportive place to help students, faculty and staff who have experienced gender-based violence or harassment explore options and think through their needs and the support available to them.

GVS provides free, confidential support and advocacy for all students, faculty, staff and post-doctorate students who have experienced or have been impacted by gender-based violence or harassment before or during their time at Carolina.

Carolina Latinx Center

Director of the Carolina Latinx Center Josmell Pérez said the CLC provides a home away from home for Latinx students. 

"Whether it be taking a load off between classes in La Sala, offering up countless opportunities to get connected with Latinx-related groups or being a listening ear to any of your questions or concerns about your campus experience — the CLC is a space for you," he said.

The LGBTQ Center

The LGBTQ Center offers educational, community-building and direct-support programs and services to help foster an inclusive environment for UNC-Chapel Hill community members of all sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions.

Terri Phoenix, director of the LGBTQ center, said the center hosts a popular program called “Center After Dark” where students come in from 5 to 8 p.m. on Wednesdays and connect with each other. T said the program provides a laid-back atmosphere for LGBTQ students to interact. 

For individual support, staff can meet with people to discuss issues like identity development, relationships and academics.

More resources

In addition to these services, the Academic Advising Program helps students navigate their majors and minors, University Libraries assists students in conducting research and Student Wellness offers a range of programs, services and resources aimed at supporting healthy choices and positive decision-making about health, safety and wellness.

Abels, Vazquez, Afriyie and Bates all encourage incoming first-years to take advantage of the services the University provides since they are free and easily accessible.

"The graduating seniors tell us 'I wish I would have come earlier,'" Abels said. "So, a first-year student or a sophomore shouldn't hesitate to make an appointment. You don't have to have a particular reason. Just come to check us out or come to one of our events, and we will be glad to see you."

For links to all the student resource centers mentioned, click here.

For specific New Student programs, click here.