Third individual charged in Nov. 26 shooting incident at Southpoint

IMG_7890.jpg
Police cars are pictured outside of Southpoint Mall from an incident earlier this year. The Durham Police Department is currently investigating a shooting incident from Nov. 26, 2021.

Updated 01/19/2022, 6:15 p.m.: A third person has been charged and arrested in connection to the Nov. 26 shooting at The Streets at Southpoint, according to a Jan. 19 press release from Durham Police.

Lamonttae Taylor, 20, of Durham has been charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon. Taylor has also been charged with felony possession of cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Taylor was arrested on a Nov. 18 outstanding warrant that charged him with resisting a public officer, the release said. He has been released from Durham County Jail on a $10,000 bond.

Updated 01/05/2022, 12:11 p.m.: A second man has been arrested in connection to the Nov. 26 shooting incident at The Streets at Southpoint, according to a press release from Durham Police.

Romeo Pride, a Durham resident, was arrested and charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and carrying a concealed gun, the press release said.

Pride was of three people who were shot during the incident and was arrested upon being released from the hospital. The other two people shot were determined to be bystanders, police said.  

Jaquaay Walton, who was charged with carrying a concealed gun in late December but had not yet been arrested, turned himself in and was released on a $1,500 bond.

The investigation is ongoing and additional charges may be filed, according to Durham Police.

Updated 12/23/2021, 11:45 p.m.: A 31-year-old man has been charged with carrying a concealed gun in relation to the Nov. 26 shooting incident at The Streets at Southpoint, according to a press release from the Durham Police Department.

The man, Jaquaay Walton, who is from Virginia, has not yet been arrested, according to Durham Police.

Further charges against additional individuals are anticipated as the investigation continues, the press release said. The police department’s investigation found that robbery was the motive for the shooting, according to a Dec. 3 press release from the Durham Police Department.

The incident does not appear to be gang related and was not a random incident, the Dec. 3 update said.

According to the Durham Police Department, two men approached a man selling jewelry on the second floor of the shopping center. At least one of those two men had a gun and attempted to rob the man selling jewelry. The man selling the jewelry and the suspected robber with the gun both fired guns, according to the Dec. 3 release said.

Police officers recovered two firearms from the scene. Three people were shot in the late November incident, and another three people were treated for non-life-threatening injuries. The investigation is still ongoing.

Updated 11/27: One of the victims, an adult male, is in critical condition following the shooting incident at The Streets at Southpoint Friday, according to a press release from the Durham Police Department.

Durham Police are still actively investigating the incident. No charges have been filed yet.The other two shooting victims — one adult male and a juvenile — have both sustained non-life-threatening injuries.The three other people who were injured in the incident also sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

The Durham Police Department is investigating a shooting incident that injured three people at The Streets at Southpoint in Durham Friday afternoon. 

Durham Police Chief Patrice Andrews said in a press conference that the incident occurred at approximately 3:23 p.m. in the upstairs portion of the southern end of the mall. Andrews said the three people shot, including a 10-year-old, were transferred to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. 

She said the mall was being evacuated and will be closed until further notice. She added that there was no longer a present threat at the mall, and said shoppers should still feel safe shopping at malls this weekend. 

One person has been detained, Andrews said. But police have not clarified any charges or provided identifying information about the individual.

Police are continuing to investigate the incident, and Andrews said she expects multiple future arrests will come as a result of that investigation.

She said that preliminary information points to the shooting involving two parties that were familiar with each other and that the shooting did not involve rogue actors shooting indiscriminately into the crowd of shoppers.

Andrews also said three other people were injured in the aftermath of the shooting as the mall was being evacuated.

Friday's incident comes just one month after The Streets at Southpoint was evacuated after reports of a reported incident involving a firearm on Oct. 24.

Andrews said the recurrence of gun violence in Durham was of tremendous concern, and that the police will continue to work with federal partners to reduce the amount of gun violence in the city.

"Shootings in this city have got to stop," Andrews said. "It's got to stop."

@GMolero1