UNC women's basketball scores final 10 points of the game to stun Boston College, 76-73

IMG_3719.jpg
Sophomore Deja Kelly takes the ball down the court against James Madison University on Dec. 5, 2021. The Tar Heels won 93-47.

The undefeated North Carolina women’s basketball team (10-0, 1-0 ACC) opened conference play with a thrilling 76-73 comeback win against Boston College (7-3, 0-1 ACC).

The first quarter of the game began very evenly, with the two teams not letting the other jump out of range and take control of the game. While the Tar Heels were able to go on a nine-point scoring run, Boston College was able to claw back throughout the quarter and end only down one point, with the score at 17-16.

The next 10 minutes featured a spectacle uncommon to the Tar Heel women this season, as the Eagles jumped to a seven-point lead and stayed ahead of North Carolina the entire quarter. After a 10-point run from Boston College, the Tar Heels attempted to break the Eagles’ momentum and deflate the score by halftime. However, the Eagles kept scoring at will and did not allow any room for a comeback. At halftime, the Tar Heels found themselves down 40-33.

After a short break in the locker room, UNC looked to turn the momentum, yet was shut down again by the more aggressive Boston College team. After a five-point run by the Eagles, North Carolina fought to stay within single digits, but Boston College continued to stay in rhythm. The Tar Heels were able to bring the lead down to five, but Boston College closed out the period on an eight-point run to leave the score going into the final quarter leading 60-47..

Down 13 with 10 minutes left. North Carolina immediately picked up the pace, outscoring Boston College by small margins to rally the deficit back in their favor. After a nine-point run midway through the quarter, the Tar Heels were within two points. But Boston College was able to gain their own momentum and boost the score 73-66 with a little more than two minutes left.

Then, North Carolina showed the qualities the Tar Heels built in their undefeated start. On Boston College’s home court, the Tar Heels scored the last 10 points of the game, including a jumper by sophomore guard Deja Kelly with 10 seconds left to give North Carolina its first lead since early in the second quarter. 

After a lackluster performance in the first three quarters from the Tar Heels, they were able to end the game by outscoring Boston College by 16 points in the fourth en route to a 76-73 win.

Both Kelly and graduate guard Carlie Littlefield played almost the entire game, making their presence as two of the best players in the ACC known. Littlefield recorded 22 points, three rebounds and one assist, while Kelly recorded 19 points, two rebounds and three assists and also hit the game-winner.

While the game seemed decided in Boston College’s favor by the end of the third quarter, North Carolina fought to the final buzzer, which was rewarded with Kelly’s go-ahead basket. After Boston College missed its last-second three-point attempt, the Tar Heels secured the comeback win.

While it is still early in the regular season, this match opened North Carolina’s ACC conference play on a positive note and should help give them momentum going into future contests against difficult ACC opponents. Barring any losses, the Tar Heels should also save their spot in the top-25 after this performance.

North Carolina plays Alabama State on Tuesday, Dec. 21 at 1 p.m. in Carmichael Arena. 

@igbryant619