UNC delivers strong showings in Hokie Invitational

Jill_Shippee.jpg
Graduate student Jill Shippee throws at the Hokie Invitational in Blacksburg, VA, over the weekend of Jan. 21, 2022. Photo courtesy of Tom Connelly.

The Tar Heels’ Track and Field team traveled to Blacksburg, VA this weekend to appear in the Hokie Invitational after a tough showing at the Virginia Tech Invitational.

UNC’s track and field team returned to Blacksburg, VA for their second weekend in a row for the Hokie Invitational. This time around, the team put up very impressive performances on both the men’s and women’s side compared to last week at the Virginia Tech Invitational.

On the first day, UNC displayed many impressive showings. The women’s 1000m run saw Carlee Hansen finish in sixth place with a time of 2:26.39 followed by three more Tar Heels consecutively finishing at the eighth through tenth place spots. Hansen had another top-ten finish in the women’s 600m, but was overshadowed this time by her teammate Makayla Paige who placed fifth at a time of 1:31.93.

On the men’s side, James Joycey finished at the fifth place spot in the men’s weight throw with a 65-4 (19.91m) throw.

Day two saw a handful of standout Tar Heels make their mark on this weekend with notable finishes. Sophomore Sydney Banks finished at third place in the women’s high jump with a 5-5.25 jump (1.66m). Banks showed off her consistency in the high jump as she saw the exact same result last weekend. Obiageri Amaechi placed fifth in the women’s shot put with a 14.86 meter toss.

Turning to the men, sophomore Kyle Reinheimer set his personal best in the men’s 800m run at a time of 1:51.39 which earned the fifth place spot. In the men’s long jump, Matthew Harris placed fifth with a 23.7.5 (7.20m) jump.

Many Tar Heels on both the men’s and women’s side showed a lot of great potential for the rest of their season, but these specific individual performances certainly were the most eye-catching this weekend.

On the first day of action, Jill Shippee achieved her personal best and the second-best in UNC’s history in the women’s weight throw with a stellar 69-6.75 (21-20m) throw. The throw earned her the third place spot.

Also on Friday, first-year Parker Wolfe set the fifth fastest indoor time in school history and placed second with a 4:00.53 time in the men’s mile run.

Since this was another invitational like last week’s competition, there was no defined winner for the event. However, it was decided early on that the Tar Heels were going to showcase some superb performances after a historical day one from Jill Shippee and Parker Wolfe.

The Hokie Invitational was a great turn-around showing compared to that of last week at the Virginia Tech Invitational. The stand-out performances by the underclassmen on this team are also a hopeful sign of what’s to come for this program. The Tar Heels seem determined to continue improving upon their production from the weekend.

North Carolina will now travel to Bloomington, Indiana for the Indiana Relays taking place on Friday and Saturday (January 28-29).