University plans move to Condition 2 status ahead of Winter Storm Izzy

Students at UNC missed two and a half days of classes due to Winter Storm Inga — but outside of the classroom, Tar Heels managed to have some fun. 

The University will move to a Condition 2 from 6 a.m. Sunday to 8 a.m. Monday due to the forecasted impacts of Winter Storm Izzy, according to an Alert Carolina notification. The Chapel Hill area is expecting potential snow and ice this weekend. 

Condition 2 status indicates suspended University operations, as outlined in a Friday Alert Carolina. UNC will be open for only for mandatory operations.

Non-mandatory employees must not report to work, the email said. However, mandatory employees must report to or remain at work unless otherwise notified.

"When snow, ice or other winter weather has the potential to affect class and work schedules, the University will make decisions about the campus operating status as far in advance as possible," the Friday email said. 

Students and faculty are not scheduled to return to the classroom until Tuesday due to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday on Monday. 

The University plans to continue monitoring weather and will send warnings through Alert Carolina. 

@alliemkelly