Suspect in sexual assault at McClinton Residence Hall identified

2022_Wilder_MomoMasters-62.jpg

A student walks into McClinton Residence Hall on Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2022. 

Content warning: This article contains mention of sexual assault. 

Updated 10/2 at 5:34 p.m.: The suspect in Sunday's incident has been identified by UNC Police. Police met with the suspect and filed charges, but no arrest has been made, according to an Alert Carolina message. 

A report of sexual assault or groping occurred Sunday at 6:10 p.m. at McClinton Residence Hall, according to a 10:41 p.m. Alert Carolina message. UNC Police is investigating the incident. 

The alert said the suspect followed the victim into McClinton's "lobby and stairwell, groped them and left the building via the lobby stairwell."

Police offered no further information and the investigation remains ongoing. Anyone with information should call 911 or UNC Police at 919-962-8100 for non-emergency assistance. 

@emmymrtin

Emmy Martin

Emmy Martin is the 2023-24 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as the DTH's city & state editor and summer managing editor. Emmy is a junior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and information science. 

Walker Livingston

Walker Livingston is the 2024 enterprise managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer city & state editor and assistant city & state editor. Walker is a sophomore pursuing a double major in journalism and media and American studies, with a minor in data science.