Word on the street: students adjust to spring semester classes

20220118_Ibrahim_WOTS-1.jpg

Junior Rhyan Given, pictured on Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2022, is one of many students attending both online and in-person classes this semester.

As UNC students return to campus for the spring semester, many have been met with a mix of remote and in-person classes. 

Some classes have begun in-person or a temporary virtual format, while others are set to stay online for the rest of the semester. 

Staff writer Collin Tadlock asked students: “How are you dealing with a mix of remote and in-person classes?”

Anna Brady, junior English and public policy major

“The biggest problem that I've encountered with the mix of classes is that since not every one of my classes is in the same mode of instruction, I've had issues getting to my classes on time and finding a safe, quiet place on campus that I can do my online classes, and then still be able to get to my in-person classes on time.”

Jadyn Jones, senior public policy and sociology major

I wish more classes were remote. It really scares me that classes are in-person. It can encourage a lot of irresponsible class attendance because people are afraid of being out and just the regular stigma of COVID in general.”

Kate Poss, first-year psychology major

I wish all classes had some sort of consistency, as in they were either all online or all in-person, because it's a mixture of the two kind of gets confusing. So, I'm dealing with it fine, but it can be a bit more complicated than it needs to be.”

Rhyan Given, junior peace, war and defense and Hispanic linguistics major

“Having virtual classes as a student has been pretty useful because not only am I given a little bit more security with the cases of COVID on campus right now, but I also have a little bit more time to prepare myself for my classes.”

Jonathan Lee, sophomore business major

“Most of my classes are in-person actually, so I've been just going to them. I have one virtual, but I’ve been handling it well because in the past it was virtual, so I’m used to it by now.” 

Sarah Combs, sophomore undeclared major

“It's mostly fine. The one problem was I ended up missing a class last week because I thought that it was online and it was not and so that was a bit of a mix up. I'm fine with them being online. I just wish that there was less of a week-by-week basis, because it's getting confusing and it's getting really hard to plan around it.”