Orange County Board of Education discusses masks, equity and school improvements

20220221_Wilder_OrangeBOE-7-2.jpg
Orange County Schools Superintendent Monique Felder speaks at the beginning of a OCS Board of Education meeting on Monday, Feb. 21, 2022.

Approximately 30 protesters — a mix of students, parents and other community members — were lined at the front of the Whitted Human Services Center in Hillsborough to protest mask mandates at Monday's Orange County Board of Education meeting. 

“Stop ruining my senior year,” one banner pinned on a handrail read.

“Mandates Are Suffering Kids Spirits,” another read, creating a "MASKS" acrostic. 

About 10 counter-protesters stood to the right of the protesters, holding Black Lives Matter signs and pride flags. Barricades put up by police blocked the entrance to the stairs leading to the Board’s second-floor meeting room.

Recent community backlash on mask protocols follows Gov. Roy Cooper's announcement encouraging schools and local governments to end mandates starting March 7. The day after Cooper's announcement, Orange County leaders decided to keep the county's indoor mask mandate in place.

Orange County Schools is one of many school districts across the state and country grappling with adjusting COVID-19 protocols.

During Monday's meeting, the board unanimously voted to lift school mask mandates and make its COVID-19 testing program optional for unvaccinated student-athletes. The board also heard findings from an equity and culture assessment, and discussed updates about the annual Capital Investment Plan.

A protester holds a sign that reads "Mandates Are Suffocating Kids Spirits" ahead of a Orange County Board of Education meeting in Hillsborough on Monday, Feb. 21, 2022. Board members plan to vote on updated COVID-19 regulations for Orange County Schools during this meeting.

Orange County Schools Equity Report

Millennium Learning Concepts, a third-party organization that provides parity-based technical assistance and professional development, performed an independent equity and culture assessment for the district in November.

“Equity, as you all know, is ensuring all students have what they need to succeed and thrive,” Superintendent Monique Felder said. “It is at the core, the very heart of everything we do in the district.”

MLC’s report found that OCS has a “systemic focus on equity and capacity” as well as a welcoming, inclusive and communicative environment.

“District, school staff and leadership are extremely devoted and committed to addressing the systemic conditions that contribute to pervasive student achievement and opportunity gaps,” the report said. 

During the assessment, MLC first collected district and school documents and then compiled interview data from the school community, office staff and students.

They interviewed 243 OCS students and employees, and surveyed staff and students, receiving a total of 898 responses. The organization also completed 147 school and classroom observations.

Roger Cleveland, president of MLC, proposed a four-pillar equity framework for OCS including educational experience, equity embedded leadership, collective responsibility and equity decision making.

The board thanked MLC for its efforts and plans to continue consulting with the organization.

“We have a lot of structure, which is a really big deal, and it took a lot of teamwork and advocacy to get that structure in place,” Chairperson Carrie Doyle said. “Now we’re really at that stage where it has to be infused throughout the district.”

The Capital Investment Plan

At the meeting, Deputy Superintendent of Operations Patrick Abele also discussed updates to the Capital Investment Plan, a 10-year project managed by the Board of County Commissioners. The Orange County board will use the funds to update infrastructure in schools.

Funding for this project operates on a yearly basis. OCS has been allocated $7,345,277 to complete various major projects during the 2023 fiscal year at 13 different schools.

The plan includes HVAC renovations for seven elementary schools and A.L. Stanback Middle School. Gravelly Hill Middle, Orange Middle, Cedar Ridge High and Orange High will undergo parking lot renovations. Partnership Academy will undergo a building expansion.

No exact timeline has been established for these projects, though board member Bonnie Hauser suggested the creation of one.

“It would be nice for the public and especially our schools for them to see a timeline on when their projects are coming because they’ve waited a long time for them," Hauser said. 

The board will continue engaging with the Capital Investment Plans to improve school infrastructure. It will meet again on Monday, March 7.