UNC baseball picks up Opening Day win with 14-3 thrashing over Seton Hall

202202018_Rhyne_BaseballvSetonHall-19.jpg
UNC sophomore infielder Patrick Alvarez (8) throws the ball to sophomore infielder Johnny Castagnozzi (19) during their season opener against Seton Hall on Friday, Feb. 18, 2022, at Boshamer Stadium in Chapel Hill. UNC won 14-3.

The North Carolina baseball team kicked off its season with a bang on Friday evening, defeating Seton Hall by a score of 14-3.

The Pirates got on the board first, when an RBI single made the score 1-0 in the top of the first. They did not let up, as an RBI double play extended the lead to 2-0 before the Tar Heels came to bat. 

However, UNC quickly responded. On the first pitch of the bottom of the first, redshirt junior outfielder Angel Zarate launched a home run to cut the score to 2-1. The offense wouldn't stop there, as the next batter, junior shortstop Danny Serretti, cranked another home run to tie the game. 

North Carolina proceeded to jump out to a big lead in the second inning when sophomore second baseman Patrick Alvarez hit a home run with two other players already on base, earning three runs for the Tar Heels. From here on out the Tar Heels' pitching shut down the Pirates, holding them scoreless until the seventh inning.

Seretti shined for the Tar Heels with four hits, a home run, a double and four RBIs. First-year center fielder Vance Honeycutt also made quite the splash in his debut as he went 3-4 with four runs scored, including a home run in the 4th inning to extend the Tar Heels' lead. 

Alvarez also had a big impact in Friday’s game, racking up 3 RBIs and a home run of his own. Junior pitcher Brandon Scaeffer earned the victory on the mound, going six innings and only allowing two hits after the first.

After Alvarez launched his home run to give the UNC a 5-2 lead in the bottom of the second, the Pirates could not recover from the Tar Heels’ offensive onslaught, struggling to gain back any of the ground that they had lost. 

North Carolina played complementary baseball on Friday, allowing just two runs in the first four innings while scoring six of their own. The Tar Heels extended their lead to as many as seven runs in the 6th inning, refusing to let the Pirates have a chance to get back into the game.

The Tar Heels started off their season with a big win and established themselves as a resilient team that thrives on frustrating the opposition’s batters. They went down early in the first inning, but they were still able to overcome the tough start and come out with a win to start off their opening weekend.

The Tar Heels will continue their series against Seton Hall on Saturday. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.