No. 1 UNC women's tennis remains undefeated with 6-1 road win over Louisville

Women's Tennis
Junior Anika Yarlagadda prepares to return the ball against Safiya Carrington of Louisiana State at the Kitty Harrison Invitational on Sept. 25.

The No. 1 UNC women’s tennis maintained its undefeated record with a 6-1 win at ACC opponent Louisville on Sunday.

UNC’s matchup against Louisville began at noon on Sunday, with doubles kicking off first. The Tar Heels took an early lead when juniors Kacie Harvey and Anika Yarlagadda became the first to finish their doubles match, taking a 6-1 victory. This was quickly followed by a 6-2 win by senior Alle Sanford and junior Elizabeth Scotty. Together, these two wins allowed North Carolina to secure a 1-0 lead before singles matches.

Singles started out promisingly for the Tar Heels as well. In the first set, UNC led four of their six singles matches. However, No. 35 first-year Carson Tanguilig struggled in her singles match, falling 6-1 in the first set. No. 7 senior Cameron Morra also lost her first set, but it was much closer at 6-4.

Things did not improve for Tanguilig in the second set of her singles matchup, and her loss allowed Louisville to tie it up at 1-1. North Carolina pulled ahead once again with Yarlagadda’s singles win. They were able to advance their lead to 3-1 when Harvey also pulled off a win in her singles match.

Sanford’s singles match went to three sets after her rough 6-1 loss in the second set that followed a 6-3 win in the first. The senior battled through to win the third set 6-2 and award the Tar Heels their fourth point. Both Morra and No. 13 Fiona Crawley’s matches also advanced to a third set, but both Tar Heels won to secure a 6-1 UNC win.

No. 25 Yarlagadda was an essential contributor in today’s Tar Heel win. She and Harvey dominated their doubles match, winning 6-1. Yarlagadda put on an equally impressive performance in singles, in which she won her match in two sets with a score of 6-1, 6-1.

Harvey also went on to have a successful singles match after her and Yarlagadda’s doubles victory. Though her singles match proved to be much closer than that of her doubles partner, she was also able to pull off a win in two sets with a 6-3, 6-3 score. 

UNC led for the majority of this match. The Cardinals failed to keep up in doubles play, allowing them to fall behind early. Louisville tried to redeem themselves in the singles matches, and walked away with the first singles point to tie things up. However, North Carolina continued to lead the other singles matches, and it became clear that Louisville would most likely not take home the win in Sunday’s match.

This win allows North Carolina to maintain their undefeated status, something that is an important factor for them to also keep their No. 1 ranking. No. 2 N.C. State and No. 3 Oklahoma have each suffered one loss this season, so to assure UNC remains at No. 1, it’s essential that they remain undefeated. The Tar Heels’ strong performance on Sunday made this possible.

The Tar Heels will return to Chapel Hill for Saturday’s matchup against ACC opponent Virginia Tech.