UNC Vice Chancellor for Development David Routh to step down after Campaign for Carolina

019317_campaign_for_carolina030

UNC Vice Chancellor for Development David Routh speaks at the Campaign For Carolina launch event on Oct. 6, 2017. Photo courtesy of Jon Gardiner/UNC-Chapel Hill.

David Routh, vice chancellor for development, will step down from his position after the Campaign for Carolina ends later this year, the University announced in a campus-wide email Monday.

Launched in 2017, the Campaign for Carolina is the University's fundraising drive that had a goal of $4.25 billion.

During his nine years at UNC, Routh has a major role in fundraising, including helping the campaign reach its goal ahead of schedule. Fundraising priorities included focuses on extending accessibility and affordability, employing well-renowned faculty members and continuing to adequately educate students.

Routh will stay in his role until the Campaign for Carolina is completed in December.

“David will have overseen the Campaign for Carolina from start to finish, focusing not only on reaching campaign goals but on building a high performing team that has gotten us where we are today,” the email said.

Throughout Routh’s time at UNC, the University has received billions of dollars in fundraising through various donors and alumni.

“During David’s tenure, Carolina joined an elite group of public universities to surpass $4 billion in a single campaign — and is the only university in the history of the South to exceed $4.25 billion in a completed campaign,” the email said. 

UNC also received the largest private donation in the University’s history of $100 million from Dr. Fred Eshelman for the Eshelman Institute for Innovation during Routh’s leadership.

Development office

Routh's name has been a part of recent news surrounding the Hussman School of Journalism and Media.

When news broke of the Board of Trustees' failure to vote on tenure for journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones, it was revealed that the journalism school's namesake, Walter Hussman Jr., had expressed his concerns about the potential hire in emails to Routh, alongside one trustee, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz and then-Dean Susan King.

As Hannah-Jones' tenure case ensued, the donor agreement between UNC, Hussman and the journalism school was published in the News & Observer in July. The University began an inquiry into the emails and hard-drive backups of journalism school faculty.

On July 16, two days after the agreement was published, Routh gave a statement through University Communications saying a leak of confidential donor information was “seriously troubling and will be investigated.”

“Honoring these commitments is vital and critically important for maintaining trust with our donor community,” Routh wrote.

The University will begin its search for a new vice chancellor for development soon, according to the Monday email.

@livvreilly