Analysis: After so-so season, UNC football's offensive line is looking ahead to 2022

20201024_Loven_football_5D-1373.jpg
UNC sophomore quarterback Sam Howell (7) prepares to makes a pass in Kenan Stadium Oct. 24, 2020. The Tar Heels beat the Wolfpack 48-21.

Following an up-and-down 2021 season, the North Carolina football offensive line is looking to build consistency in 2022.

Last fall, the offensive line was expected to be one of the team’s strengths. However, the group underperformed throughout the year, giving up an ACC-high 49 sacks while forcing former quarterback Sam Howell to scramble and make the most of broken plays.

This season, the unit will be led by new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr., who will reunite with offensive coordinator Phil Longo – his former coaching partner at Ole Miss. With some starters returning – and several new faces brought in – the offensive line will have a chance to rebound from a disappointing campaign and take a step forward this season.

Asim Richards

As the starting left tackle in each of the last two seasons, Richards supplies heaps of experience to a retooled offense.

The senior from Philadelphia will be tasked with protecting the quarterback’s blind side and allowing him to comfortably stand in the pocket and sling the ball to all parts of the field. Whether the new signal caller is sophomore Jacolby Criswell or redshirt first-year Drake Maye, Richards will be a welcome presence for the relatively inexperienced quarterback room.

Zach Rice

As the top-ranked offensive line prospect in the country, Rice is expected to be a difference-maker the moment he takes the field at Kenan Stadium.

Standing at 6 feet, 5 inches and weighing 320 pounds, Rice dominated his high school competition – registering 219 pancake blocks in 2021 and not allowing a sack in his last two seasons at Liberty Christian Academy in Lynchburg, Va. His success led to him being a named two-time All-State selection and the 2021 MaxPreps Virginia Player of the Year.

Despite Rice’s status as a highly-touted prospect, the offensive line’s depth should allow the UNC coaching staff to ease him into action and let him earn reps throughout the season at a number of different positions.

Corey Gaynor

After transferring from Miami, Gaynor will stay in the conference and give UNC depth at the center position this fall.

A full-time starter in the 2019-2020 season, Gaynor was named a captain in 2020 before suffering a season-ending knee injury just three games into the 2021 season. During his time in Coral Gables, Fla., he was an instrumental part of one of the nation’s top run offenses. 

While he is expected to split time with returning starting center Brian Anderson, his leadership and veteran intangibles should allow him to see the field often this fall.

Ed Montilus

Following three seasons as a key depth piece to the offensive line, Montilus has the chance to take on an even bigger role in 2022.

The graduate student from Apopka, Fla., saw increased playing time as the year progressed and registered a season-high 59 snaps in the regular season finale at N.C. State. He also had a series of standout performances, grading at 86 percent against Virginia and 83 percent against Duke, according to Pro Football Focus.

With the new coaching staff in place, Montilus will serve as a familiar face to the retooled unit.

Spencer Rolland

After spending four years at Harvard, Rolland adds another interesting weapon to the offensive line group. 

Rolland racked up numerous accolades during his time with the Crimson – including first team All-Ivy League honors while being a centerpiece for the second-highest scoring team in the conference in 2021. 

Despite the accomplishments, Rolland still projects as somewhat of an unknown. Much of his action came against non-Power Five opponents, and he missed his entire junior season due to the cancellation of the Ivy League season because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Joining a group of moving pieces, Rolland and the rest of the unit will look to gel with one another to help the Tar Heels maintain their high levels of offensive production.  

@hunternelson_1