Word on the Street: The weirdest things that happened to students this semester

You_20221127_WOTS for year-in-review-.JPG-6.jpg
The Pit is pictured on Nov. 27, 2022.

As final exams approach, many students are concluding a memorable semester on UNC's campus.

Staff writer Corey Davis asked students: “What is the weirdest thing that has happened to you this semester?”

Jaleah Taylor, sophomore political science and media and journalism major

“This past fall break, my friends and I decided to take a lovely trip to Savannah, Ga., so we booked an Airbnb. We got there, showed up around midnight and it was just our luck that the passcode didn't work. Nevertheless, we were stranded in Savannah for a few hours until, thankfully, my friend’s cousin was able to provide us with a place to sleep.”

Ayanna Davis, first-year information science major

“Not being able to hear my professor give exam instructions because the campus whistler was standing right outside of the window, whistling very loud.”

Ashton Hutchinson, first-year media and journalism major

“When I didn't have my key (to my residence hall), and I was standing at the door knocking for like five minutes, and the people in the lobby were just looking at me struggling to get into the building.”

Riley Page, first-year media and journalism major

“While playing intramural futsal, I got a red card for slide tackling. Ultimately, I was banned from all intramural sports on UNC campus. However, they reviewed the red card and realized that it was only for slide tackling and not vulgar behavior, I was then allowed back in the program.”

Tolu Dapo-Adeyemo, first-year business major

“This guy on my floor gave me a $100 bill in the shape of a heart because I told him it was my birthday. It was not my birthday. I did not keep the money because I felt weird about it but, yeah, just another day in Chapel Hill.”

Sophia Pedroso, sophomore media and journalism major

“My entire suite was woken up at 5 a.m. by the suite below us blasting Pop Smoke. And for an entire weekend, they had bass-blasting music and were throwing frat-sized parties in Morrison Residence Hall.”

Mukhtar Idris, first-year information science major

“Waking up to a roach on my face at 4 in the morning.”

@dailytarheel