María Estorino appointed to be University Librarian

20220920_Paul-opinion-lead-wilson-infrastructure-4.JPG

Wilson Library overlooks UNC's campus on Sept. 20, 2022.

María Estorino has been appointed as the new vice provost for University Libraries and University librarian, effective Jan. 30. Estorino will succeed Elaine Westbrooks, who announced she would be leaving the position last spring. 

Westbrooks was in the position for almost five years, and left the University on May 31, 2022. 

For the past eight months, Estorino has served as the interim vice provost for University Libraries and University Librarian. She joined the University in 2017, later working as the associate University librarian for special collections and the director of the Louis Round Wilson Special Collections Library. 

Throughout her time at UNC, Estorino has worked to increase accessibility in libraries for the surrounding communities, as well as creating partnerships within the University community. 

"We are confident that under her leadership the University Libraries will continue to grow as a vibrant center for learning, research and collaboration," Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz and Provost Chris Clemens said in a campus wide email on Thursday. 

The dean of the School of Information and Library Science, Gary Marchionini served as the chairperson for the search committee. 

@livvreilly