Sam Robinson steps down as undergraduate vice president, applies to be on student supreme court

20220105_Wilder_SBPElections-64.jpg

Sam Robinson stands in front of the Old Well on Thursday, Feb. 3, 2022.  

Update 02/16/23, 10:55 p.m.: Student Body President Taliajah "Teddy" Vann said the leadership changes in the student executive branch reflected the wishes of her administration. 

She said she was committed to ensuring that every member of her administration could work together in their respective roles effectively in the service of the student body.

"The executive board met multiple times in response to questions about how to effectively move forward,” Vann said. “And we decided that, at this time, our vice president office would be able to work more effectively with a different leader heading that space.”

Undergraduate Vice President Sam Robinson has announced his resignation from his position effective immediately in a letter addressed to current Student Body President Taliajah "Teddy" Vann. 

He has separately applied to be a justice on the UNC Student Supreme Court. He said his nomination has been submitted by Vann to the Undergraduate Senate, who will further review his application. There is not yet a direct timeline as to when his nomination will be decided upon.   

Individuals cannot serve as vice president and as a justice on the court at the same time, which is why Robinson said he has decided to step down. 

"I'm very proud of the work that we've done, and look forward to completing transition documents and continuing to make sure that the transition goes smoothly," he said. 

Robinson has worked in the Vann administration as vice president since last April, and previously held various roles within the UNC Student Government Executive Branch during his time at the University. 

The Vann administration did not respond to comment by the time of publication. 

Robinson was initially a certified candidate in the 2023 Student Body President election, but suspended his campaign last Thursday.  

"I've loved every moment of serving as a senator, as Vice President and I hope to continue serving as a justice," Robinson said. "It has been a fantastic honor to serve. It has given meaning and it has given me the cause of my Carolina career."

CLARIFICATION: An original version of this article said that Student Body President Taliajah "Teddy" Vann said the leadership changes described therein were in the best interests of her administration. The article has been updated to reflect that the changes to the UNC Undergraduate Executive Branch were the changes she was referring to.

@livvreilly