Five UNC women's tennis players earn All-ACC honors, Crawley named ACC Player of the Year

05202023-wten-championship-39.jpg

Junior Fiona Crawley celebrates after securing a singles point against N.C. State on May 20, 2023. The Tar Heels won, 4-1.

After a dominant regular season performance and a national championship title, the Atlantic Coast Conference selected five Tar Heels on the Carolina women’s tennis team for All-ACC honors on Friday. 

Fiona Crawley

In addition to earning a spot on the First Team for singles and doubles, junior Fiona Crawley was named the ACC Player of the Year. 

Posting a 27-2 record in singles this year, Crawley finished the season as the No. 1 singles player in the country — a spot she has held onto since November. The Texas native went undefeated during the team’s national championship run. 

Alongside sophomore Carson Tanguilig, Crawley won the 2023 NCAA doubles title, and the duo finished with a 17-7 record during the regular season. With their doubles title, the pair earned a spot to compete in the 2023 U.S. Open this summer. 

Reese Brantmeier and Elizabeth Scotty

First-year Reese Brantmeier earned First Team for both singles and doubles, and senior Elizabeth Scotty was named to the All-ACC doubles First Team. 

Finishing with a No. 9 ranking in singles, Brantmeier completed the season with a 22-4 record and a spot on the NCAA Championship All-Tournament Team. She was also named ACC Freshman of the Week four times this season. The UNC first-year competed at the No. 1 singles spot for the team during the NCAA Tournament, where she dropped only one match against N.C. State's No. 4 nationally ranked player and ACC Freshman of the Year Diana Shnaider.

Brantmeier and Scotty were runners-up in the NCAA Doubles Championship and ended the season as a top-10-ranked pair. The duo posted a record of 14-5 at the No. 1 doubles position for the Tar Heels during the regular season. 

Carson Tanguilig and Anika Yarlagadda

Tanguilig secured spots on the singles Second Team and the doubles First Team, while senior Anika Yarlagadda was named to the Third Team for singles. 

Tanguilig was ranked No. 26 in the final Intercollegiate Tennis Association Division I rankings, and she completed her sophomore season with a singles record of 18-6. The Georgia native clinched the final point for the Tar Heels in the national championship match against N.C. State. 

Yarlagadda was the final Carolina player to earn an ACC postseason accolade. Ranked No. 41, the UNC senior posted an 18-1 singles record and was a key seventh player, regularly stepping in to play at the No. 6 spot during the season and in the NCAA Tournament. 

@carolinewills03