Jessica Anderson announces run for Chapel Hill mayor after two terms on council

IMG_9001.jpeg
Photo courtesy of Beth Mann/Early Bird Photo.

Chapel Hill Town Council member Jessica Anderson announced her candidacy for mayor of Chapel Hill on Wednesday. 

“Chapel Hill is an amazing place. To keep it that way, we need to address the realities of 2023 and beyond." Anderson said in the press release. “As mayor, I’ll work hard at shaping our policy agenda so we prioritize meaningful solutions that last. My record as a council member reflects this commitment to moving us forward.”

Anderson has served two terms on the Chapel Hill Town Council and served as the Town's Mayor Pro Tem from 2017-19. She received the most votes for any candidate in both the 2015 and 2019 council elections.

In the press release, Anderson mentioned her work with the council expanding the town's commercial tax base, investing in affordable housing, improving transit and the Town's adoption of the Complete Communities framework.

“Our vision is that everyone in Chapel Hill — through a network of greenways — will be able to walk, bike or access transit to reach parks, schools, jobs, and shopping,” she said in the press release. 

Current Mayor Pam Hemminger, who announced she will not be seeking re-election this morning, has endorsed Anderson’s mayoral bid. Current Chapel Hill Town Council members Karen Stegman, Paris Miller-Foushee, Michael Parker and Amy Ryan have also endorsed Anderson. 

"Even when we didn't agree, she worked collaboratively with me and others to get the best outcomes for our entire community, which is why she has my full support," Hemminger said in the press release. 

Anderson and Town Council member Adam Searing are currently the only candidates who have announced their run for Chapel Hill's mayoral seat. The filing period for the race ends on Friday at noon.

@wslivingston_

Walker Livingston

Walker Livingston is the 2024 enterprise managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer city & state editor and assistant city & state editor. Walker is a sophomore pursuing a double major in journalism and media and American studies, with a minor in data science. 

More in Chapel Hill