Mack Brown expects improved running game, continued use of air raid in 2023 season

mackbrown-acckickoff2023-02.jpg
Mack Brown answers questions from reporters at ACC Kickoff on Thursday, July 27, 2023.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Last season, the North Carolina football team boasted one of the best offenses in the country. UNC ranked 19th in total offense and averaged just over 462 yards per game. 

This season, a new-look offense will aim to lead North Carolina back to the ACC Championship game. After the departure of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Phil Longo, along with star wide receivers Josh Downs and Antoine Green — who were both selected in the 2022 NFL Draft — head coach Mack Brown added key pieces to his coaching staff and roster.

Under Longo, UNC operated an air raid style offense, playing to the strengths of quarterback Drake Maye and utilizing his offensive threats. After Longo’s departure, Brown was looking for an offensive coordinator with experience in the air raid system, but also one who could enhance the running game. He landed on former UCF offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

“The running game is our quarterback's best friend with pass protection, and Chip had been involved with Gus Malzahn at Auburn and at Central Florida, and they run the ball so well,” Brown said. “I think you'll see us much better on offense in the running game and very similar to what we've been in the passing game.”

In Brown’s first two years in his second stint at UNC, the running game was one of the strongest in the conference. For the last two years, however, the Tar Heels have heavily relied on the passing game and been “middle of the road” on the ground.

Last season saw an injury-riddled backfield, with British Brooks and Caleb Hood both suffering season-ending injuries. With a healthy running back room, establishing a running game will take pressure off of the passing game and free up the offense. 

“I think anytime you run the football it opens up play action, opens up doors for one-on-one matchups,” Maye said.

Other coaching additions on the offensive end are run game coordinator and tight ends coach Freddie Kitchens and volunteer offensive analyst Clyde Christensen. Kitchens has a plethora of experience, most notably as head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Christensen is also well versed, coaching NFL stars such as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Andrew Luck.

“He’s a man full of knowledge, he’s a great coach,” tight end John Copenhaver said. “I’m excited to have him coach us in the season as well. Just having that knowledge has really helped us grow as a tight end group.”

Aside from coaches, Brown has added Nate McCollum and Tez Walker to help fill the void left by Downs and Green. McCollum has experience in the ACC with Georgia Tech.

“He has great speed, he is tough,” Brown said. “He can run it as well as throw it, so he can make yards after catch, so he has some similarities to Josh that we lost.”

Walker has transferred twice during his college career, but Brown believes that’s one of the good parts about the transfer portal — a player can end up where they are meant to be.

With expectations high for the upcoming 2023 season — including Maye’s Heisman odds, where he may get selected in the NFL Draft or the pressure of getting back to the ACC Championship game — Maye and the Tar Heels are focused on winning. 

“Just keeping the main thing the main thing — that’s winning games,” Maye said. “We try to win all the games. All those personal accolades come with winning football games and having North Carolina being up there in the conversation of the ACC Championship and bigger things.”

@mdmaynard74