Old Well construction expected to be complete by the first day of classes

old well 0717-4.jpg
The Old Well is pictured on Monday, July 17, 2023.

Construction to improve the accessibility of the Old Well will still be complete by the first day of class of the upcoming fall semester, according to UNC Media Relations. Construction began on May 30.

The project includes installing a permanent wheelchair-accessible ramp up to the Old Well and lowering the fountain by removing its stone base.

These changes will increase the accessibility of one of UNC's traditions — drinking from the Old Well on FDOC to ensure a 4.0 GPA for the semester.

“By making our academic symbol of the University accessible, it's showing that we are embracing all abilities, all students and that we want them at our campus,” Jennifer Diliberto, a clinical associate professor at the School of Education, told The Daily Tar Heel. “I believe that without having that academic symbol accessible, it takes away from our sincerity of saying that we are welcoming to all.”

Akash Bhowmik contributed reporting to this story.

Eliza Benbow

Eliza Benbow is the 2023-24 lifestyle editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer university editor. Eliza is a junior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and creative writing, with a minor in Hispanic studies.