'Something for everyone': A guide to art galleries in the Triangle

Hogan-08172023-lifestyle-guide-to-art-galleries-triangle
Peel, a local art gallery and photo lab is located off of W Rosemary St. in Carrboro. The gallery features many local artists in the triangle, and has a gallery in the back for shows.

Although the Triangle is known as a hub for science and technology, it boasts no shortage of space for the arts. From Durham to Carrboro, from basements to museums, art lovers have plenty of options to choose from.

Here are a few venues to explore the visual arts in the Triangle:

Ackland Art Museum

The Ackland is a global art museum located on the edge of UNC’s campus. With a considerable permanent collection, special exhibitions and constant events, there is always something new to see.

"There's definitely something for everyone," Allison Portnow Lathrop, the head of public programs at the Ackland, said. The museum houses more than 20,000 works of art. 

Located at 101 S. Columbia St., the Ackland is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and 1-5 p.m. on Sunday. It is also open late on the second Friday of each month.

SAMple Gallery

Located on UNC's campus, the SAMple Gallery is a student-run space dedicated to featuring student artists. 

It is located on the second floor of Hanes Art Center, which is at 121 E. Cameron Ave. Exhibitions are announced on social media.

Peel Gallery

Peel Gallery is a multipurpose arts and event space featuring an art gallery, digital photography lab and retail space. It is dedicated to showcasing emerging and underrepresented artists through diverse media. 

It is located at 708 W. Rosemary St. in Carrboro, and is open Wednesday from 1-6 p.m., Thursday through Saturday from 12-6 p.m. and Sunday from 12-5 p.m.

The ArtsCenter

The ArtsCenter is a multidisciplinary arts space contributing to the artistic scene in Carrboro. It will be moving locations and opening two new galleries on Aug. 26 at 400 Roberson St.

"We're just really excited to redefine what these gallery spaces can be for the new buildings," Caroline Haller, the gallery coordinator, said. "I think it's going to be really cool to see how the ArtsCenter can grow now that we have a new state-of-the-art building and a lot of space." 

FRANK Gallery

FRANK Gallery is a nonprofit artist-run gallery that displays contemporary fine art in diverse media. It hosts frequent events to engage the community with local art.

Gallery director Natalie Knox said part of their mission is education. The gallery hosts monthly coffee and donut sessions, artist talks and other events, she said. 

The gallery is located at 370 E. Main St. in Carrboro. It is open from 12-4 p.m. on Sunday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday, and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday through Saturday.

Attic 506

Located just above bar and venue Local 506 at 506 W. Franklin St, Attic 506 is an artist-run space with a studio and exhibition gallery for a resident artist. Exhibitions change frequently with new guest artists. 

It is open the second Friday of each month, by appointment and on most Saturdays from 1-4 p.m. Exhibitions and hours are announced on social media.

BASEMENT

BASEMENT is an artist-run cooperative dedicated to experimental and critical art. Just as the name suggests, the studio and exhibition space are in the basement of a private home. The location alludes to the experimental nature of the gallery’s art and performances. 

The address and hours are released with exhibition announcements on social media.

North Carolina Museum of Art 

The North Carolina Museum of Art boasts over 300,000 square feet of galleries spanning 5,000 years of art. It also features a 164-acre park dotted with sculptures. It hosts frequent events, such as guided tours and concerts at its on-site amphitheater.

The museum is located at 2110 Blue Ridge Road in Raleigh. It is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday through Sunday.

Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University

Located in the heart of Duke University, the Nasher Museum is a major center of contemporary art in the Triangle that focuses on collecting art from global, emerging artists of color. 

The museum focuses on presenting innovative, inclusive and accessible collections and programs that encourage conversations, according to its website. 

Located at 2001 Campus Drive in Durham, it is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday through Saturday and from 12-5 p.m. on Sunday. 

Editor's note: Kaitlyn Church volunteers as an art guide at the Ackland Art Museum.

@ktrchurch

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com